I have a somewhat unique problem. I just got a new Windows. 8.1 computer and my old compute will not boot up. Does so intermittently. I have not moved all my data off, although most of my photos are on a flash drive. I loaded them on the new computer, but they all say "needs attention" and I don't know what that means. I have a manual but can't find the answer yet. Will pursue w/HP. I'm hesitant to delete the photos from my iPhone. I haven't synced either my iPhone or my iPad yet to the new computer, because I've read on-line that I can lose much of my data. I took computer and devices to Apple for appt, but they couldn't really help because I have a Windows computer! Just emailed me a bunch of instructions I don't understand! I'm ready to pay someone to help me transfer the stuff and helpme get thru the first sync on new computer. Am afraid I'll screw it up if I do myself. I'm 70 and not very "techy". Your post was helpful to understand the difference between cloud and internal phone memory. Should have gotten 32G phone but only got 16G. Never imagined I would need more. But I have a lot of photos so that's the problem. If my camera roll is backed up on iCloud, can I then delete lot of the photos, to make space? I turned off the iCloud back-up on my phone and iPad,thinking that would make space, but of course it was the internal iPhone space that is the problem. Hope you can provide some insight.
    03-24-2014 01:45 PM
    If you want to delete photos from your phone in order to make space on the internal memory of your phone while not losing those photos, you can save those photos to your hard drive on your new laptop without involving iTunes. When you connect your phone to your computer, open up "My Computer" or what I believe is just called "Computer" on Windows now. From there you'll see your iPhone show up as if it's a flash drive. All your photos from your camera roll will be there and you can just drag and drop them anywhere you'd like.
    03-24-2014 03:54 PM
    I have a somewhat unique problem. I just got a new Windows. 8.1 computer and my old compute will not boot up. Does so intermittently. I have not moved all my data off, although most of my photos are on a flash drive. I loaded them on the new computer, but they all say "needs attention" and I don't know what that means. I have a manual but can't find the answer yet. Will pursue w/HP.
    Good decision
    I'm hesitant to delete the photos from my iPhone. I haven't synced either my iPhone or my iPad yet to the new computer, because I've read on-line that I can lose much of my data.
    Do you have a Dropbox, Microsoft SkyDrive, Google Drive or other cloud storage account? If so, download the app for the appropriate storage account and upload your photos from your iPhone to it for safekeeping.
    I took computer and devices to Apple for appt, but they couldn't really help because I have a Windows computer!
    You didn't really expect Apple to help you with a Windows problem, did you?
    Just emailed me a bunch of instructions I don't understand! I'm ready to pay someone to help me transfer the stuff and helpme get thru the first sync on new computer.
    There is no need to pay anyone. After you contact HP to clear up the "Needs attention" error, just install the latest version of iTunes, connect your iPhone to your new computer, initiate the iTunes app on that computer, and when iTunes recognizes it, select to sync your photos or import your photos using via the step by step instruction found via the following link -- iOS: Import personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer.
    Am afraid I'll screw it up if I do myself. I'm 70 and not very "techy".
    You'll be okay.
    Your post was helpful to understand the difference between cloud and internal phone memory. Should have gotten 32G phone but only got 16G. Never imagined I would need more. But I have a lot of photos so that's the problem.
    I understand.
    If my camera roll is backed up on iCloud, can I then delete lot of the photos, to make space?
    Yes, but you will not be able to restore the photos individually. iCloud backups are restore as a whole and therefore, the backup you made containing one set of photos will override any new photos during a restore. I highly recommend you import the photos to your computer via the above instructions or upload them to a cloud service as stated above.
    I turned off the iCloud back-up on my phone and iPad,thinking that would make space, but of course it was the internal iPhone space that is the problem. Hope you can provide some insight.
    I hope I was helpful to you.
    03-24-2014 03:59 PM
    Remember that when your phone itself is backed up to iCloud, the only photos that are saved to the camera roll are the photos that are in the camera roll in that point in time. So since you've turned off the iCloud backup, any other photos you've saved in the camera roll since aren't in the latest iCloud backup. Remember that you can always backup your phone on iTunes no matter how large the backup is. iTunes will prompt you to authorize the computer for your phone when you're setting up. In case something were to go wrong, you could just restore your backup that is sitting in iCloud.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    03-24-2014 04:00 PM
    Welcome to iMore 😃

Hopefully you fully understood all the above help your receiving if not feel free to continue asking until you feel comfortable as I see it's your first post don't feel like your intruding in any way that's what are Forum is for.

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    03-24-2014 05:21 PM
    I must say that advice given to you by 2 of our well known Mods for problem solving should hopefully get you out of all this once ad "D said to you, Get HP to help the best they can. There is not much I can add other than to support the advice you were given so take your time and make sure you fully understand what you must do and what is in store for so so you don't make matters worse but you will be ok. The key is take your time and don't be afraid to get back to them if you need any more or want to clarify something before you do it. Good luck and I admire you are taking this on and not afraid and I think you explained yourself rather well.
    03-24-2014 05:32 PM
    Remember that this is why these types of places exist for folks just like yourself and nobody here is ever going to turn you down or turn you away and will do the best any of us can do to help until your problem gets resolved.
    03-24-2014 05:37 PM