What do I turn off on my iPhone 3s to not incur call or data charges when out of USA

I

iMore Question

My son is going out of country in a few weeks and I know there is a way to only use the iPhone in Wifi areas. I believe it involves turning off cellular data and putting it in Airplane mode when in a non-Wifi area. Is there anything else he should turn off so he does not get get call or data charges. Can he use voicemail when in WiFi?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you put the phone in Airplane mode, it will shut it off to any cellular connection...this would be the optimal, and encompassing choice. Airplane mode allows for WiFi connections.

To add...Visual Voicemail only works over cellular. You can, however, access your voicemails by calling your own phone number and when the voicemail picks up, pressing the star key and entering your password. This gives you old school access to your voicemail (both new and saved).

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't recall the setting on the iPhone 3GS, but if there's a "restrictions" settings then you can disable "Cellular Data Use" . As for as using voicemail via Wi-Fi, that will depend on the service used. Google Voice, etcetera.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73