I need help with iOS 7.1 email app

I

iMore Question

updated to 7.1, now even when my mail app is closed it downloads emails. I need to control this to manage my email account $'s. previous version only checked emails when I opened Mail. Also when I delete all emails off the iphone, it re-loads them again, and again, and again. Any help gratefully received.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
For the emails to only download when you check go to Settings-Mail, Contacts, Calendars-Fetch New Data- then scroll down to the fetch options and choose 'manually'

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
updated to 7.1, now even when my mail app is closed it downloads emails. I need to control this to manage my email account $'s. previous version only checked emails when I opened Mail. Also when I delete all emails off the iphone, it re-loads them again, and again, and again. Any help gratefully received.

Settings; Email, Contacts, and Calendar

Click "Fetch New Data"
Any account you want to automatically come through leave on push

Other accounts tap the account and switch to Fetch unless in Fetch already.

Back out and scroll down and change the Fetch time to "Manual".

Now your phone won't search for emails unless you tell it too. When you hit the Mail Envelope it will bring your emails in.

Remember though, you'll only get emails if you hit the envelope and check. If someone emails you at 9am and you don't check til 3pm...well you know, you might miss something.

Example, I have 3 email accounts. One is absolutely necessary I get messages as their sent so I have it on PUSH. My other two aren't as critical. So I have them on manual fetch. When I get a PUSH email it automatically fetches the manual ones. Hope that helps.

As for the second part, not sure why it's reloading them. On your email account screen you should have the account on the top half which is the inbox. The in the bottom you should see the account account. Try clicking the bottom account and you'll see folders like Sent, Junk, Trash. Go in to Trash and delete them from your trash box as well.

Give it all a shot...

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly