Why won't my iPhone ring?

I

iMore Question

My phone will not ring. Why? There is an item that looks like a lock near the battery icon.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the mute switch on? Have you increased the volume using the volume buttons? The icon you referenced is the screen lock. When enabled, your device will NOT switch to landscape mode. To disable it, just swipe up from the bottom of the screen (if you have iOS 7) and then tap on the last icon at the top. If you have iOS 6, just swipe to the right.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That is only used to keep you phone screen from rotating to portrait or landscape mode nothing else. If your phone won't ring please check the obvious like is your silent switch on showing orange if it was. Is you volumn turned up and also I would ask if you had any bluetooth devices hooked up that may still be active like an earpiece device or handsfree device?If all of those are ok i would reboot your phone and see if that takes care of the issue.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the mute switch on? Have you increased the volume using the volume buttons? The icon you referenced is the screen lock. When enabled, your device will NOT switch to landscape mode. To disable it, just swipe up from the bottom of the screen (if you have iOS 7) and then tap on the last icon at the top. If you have iOS 6, just swipe to the right.
See if I was not on the phone with Comcast I would have gotten you instead of talking to them about a new modem i want to change my old Motorola Surfboard with...laughing. :)

Actually I did not know the answer and was waiting so I could copy yours.:rotfl:

Last edited: