Delete an old back up from a new iPad

asksuzan

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Last Spring, I dropped and smashed my iPad; had to replace it. The guy at the Apple Store looked after everything and the changeover was seamless. Since then, I noticed there are two backups sitting in Settings>iCloud>Manage Storage. One is: This iPad, 388.3 MB - backed up yesterday. The other: iPad, 371.6 MB, last backup 5/16/13. I am not sure whether they share data in any way, or has the new backup replaced the old one. Is it SAFE to delete the "old" backup now to free up some space? This is not something I want to experiment with lol!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is only a backup so yes, it is safe to remove, especially if you've made at least one recent backup.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
As suggested it is almost like when you make a new back up it over rides the previous one but does not intermingle which I can see can be confusing, I would never see someone do a good back up and revert back to the old one. Apple should let it over ride the old one or just auto delete the old one when you do your new back up. Good advice by everyone who answered before me.

asksuzan

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your added input jaguarr40. I wondered why the apple guy didn't delete it once the transfer was successful...that's what made me second guess whether there was a reason to keep it. I joined this forum today, and I am thrilled by how fast responses come in. I look forward to contributing help to others as well.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums