Strange "Empty" Badge Icon on Phone App

DaViD_BRaNDoN

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Occasionally, I see this "empty" badge icon Phone app on reboot of iPhone 5s (iOS 7.0.6) but would disappear after awhile. Appears to be related Visual Voicemail. It was persistent though when I was roaming in another country where restarting the phone wouldn't make it go away. Any clue what's this and how to prevent it from coming back?

IMG_4822.PNG

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I did a google search and came across this information...maybe it will help you:

"Turn on cellular data
Go to the phone app and navigate to the voicemail tab
Relisten to all deleted voicemails (all of mine were deleted. I didn't have any that I did not delete)
Go back into cellular data and turn it off
Problem solved."

The site is: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4426757

DaViD_BRaNDoN

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but it's not working for me. Some more turning cellular data off is not acceptable as I need data on-the-go. Updated to iOS7.1 yesterday but the issue persist :(

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks but it's not working for me. Some more turning cellular data off is not acceptable as I need data on-the-go. Updated to iOS7.1 yesterday but the issue persist :(

I don't think that instruction was intended for you to LEAVE cellular data off...it was just the steps in order to try and eliminate the notification icon.

From what I have read, the empty red circle means that visual voicemail could not make a proper contact with your cellular network. You could try a few things...

- Reset your network settings (this will basically wipe your WiFi sign ins as well so make sure you have the appropriate passwords before doing so). This, in turn, also hard resets your phone so it's like two birds with one stone.
- Try accessing your visual voicemail within a wireless network to see if it boots that icon for you.
- Ultimately, restoring your iPhone should fix the issue (but is also the most time consuming method).

...out of curiosity, do you have access to your visual voicemail right now? Can you have someone call in and leave a voicemail to see if that kind of kicks the phone in gear and resets that little icon?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that instruction was intended for you to LEAVE cellular data off...it was just the steps in order to try and eliminate the notification icon.

From what I have read, the empty red circle means that visual voicemail could not make a proper contact with your cellular network. You could try a few things...

- Reset your network settings (this will basically wipe your WiFi sign ins as well so make sure you have the appropriate passwords before doing so). This, in turn, also hard resets your phone so it's like two birds with one stone.
- Try accessing your visual voicemail within a wireless network to see if it boots that icon for you.
- Ultimately, restoring your iPhone should fix the issue (but is also the most time consuming method).

...out of curiosity, do you have access to your visual voicemail right now? Can you have someone call in and leave a voicemail to see if that kind of kicks the phone in gear and resets that little icon?
Somebody just wrote this same thing up and the cure Sean. I think you are on with the voice mail but I cannot find the darn article or post anywhere on how it got fixed and I thought it was a Mod or Ambassador but I know it was what you are on.

Just wanted to add that I think everything Sean mentioned is spot on.

DaViD_BRaNDoN

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification on Visual Voicemail. Have done Tip #1 and #2 but to no avail. The empty icon did go away when I got back to my home country but occasionally it would appear momentarily upon reboot. A bit reluctant to perform Tip #3 and this is quite time consuming - guess I'll have to live with the issue for the time being :(

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What I'm guessing is that you get voicemails while in an area where network connectivity is minimal or not sufficient enough to support visual voicemail...and that is causing the icon. Because it seems you travel in and out of country, you may experience this a lot.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox