I can't seem to permanently delete junk email.

I

iMore Question

When I delete emails from junk file to the trash file. If I go back to the junk file the emails are back. They never seem to go away permanently. What is wrong?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Ron

What email acct first of all is it? Are you sure that you have deleted the junk mail because it should go from the folder to the trash folder and the junk mail will then be empty. Once you then delete from the trash folder it should be gone for good and always check the email if it has a web email based presence to see the settings on how long your email is set to stay on the server.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That's odd. When I delete my junk folder it all goes to the trash folder. Then I delete it from there and it's gone. What is your email provider?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I delete emails from junk file to the trash file. If I go back to the junk file the emails are back. They never seem to go away permanently. What is wrong?

Is this occurring while logged in to your email via a web browser, via an email app on your computer, via the native email app on an i-device or what? Did you try rebooting to see if it or what may be cached files disappear?

DavidandCompany

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
In iOS8 on iPhone 6, I have 3 email accounts, 1 Gmail, 1 icloud, and one through my own domain. I am not able to quickly (in one step) empty the junk mailbox on the account from my domain. "Select all" > delete is what I'm looking for but it's not available. Only options are "mark all (read or unread)" and flag which don't help.

I should also add that I have tried the "hack" that is commonly recommended when Googling this topic, but that does not offer a permanent solution. In other words, the deleted emails come back.

Solution ? I had mistakenly set up this email account on my computer as a POP account instead of an IMAP account. Since I never use POP accounts, it didn't occur to me to check this until I had talked with Sean who suggested that something didn't seem right with the account setup. Changing the account to IMAP still doesn't give a "Select All", "Delete All" option in the folder on my phone, but now the folder is synced to my email account on my computer and deletes messages on the phone when they are deleted on the computer. I suspect that the other preferences, like "Delete in one day" etc. will also work now.

Another thing to be aware of is that this seems to be an issue with accounts that are not icloud or gmail accounts and so it's possible to login to your 3rd party email account and use the mail interface there to edit the contents of folders like the Junk folder. Probably best to get your email account settings set up correctly, but in the mean time, this is a way to delete messages from a burgeoning folder.

Check it out ? I hope this helps.

David

Patricia Lynch

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Can you make easier Togo in one step from junk to trash Iam 82years young and seem to have trouble getting this done in a single step xxxxx pat lynch

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Can you make easier Togo in one step from junk to trash Iam 82years young and seem to have trouble getting this done in a single step xxxxx pat lynch

I have trouble sometimes deleting junk mail. It comes back. When it does like that I bring up my email online in Safari on my phone and delete it there. That does it. Gone! It's not hard once you do it a few times.