Why is my iTunes music library mixed up alphabetically?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Here's a question that I was asked a few weeks ago by a family member. Why is my iTunes music library mixed up alphabetically. This will help out new members, as well. Do you know how to correct this issue? Thanks

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking on your Macbook or iPhone/iPod/iPad?

On the Macbook (or any computer using iTunes really)...simply click the tab over "Artist" and this will put your library of alphabetical order based on artist (or song, or album or any of the tab options you select).

On the iPhone, I only have a couple of guesses...it's possible that you have selected to sort the library by "Genre" in the alternate settings function of the Music app...that or you have your playlist library showing, which will be in order of how the music was added to each list. These are the only things I can think of, since by default, the main Music library on any iDevice is set to alphabetical order.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking on your Macbook or iPhone/iPod/iPad?

On the Macbook (or any computer using iTunes really)...simply click the tab over "Artist" and this will put your library of alphabetical order based on artist (or song, or album or any of the tab options you select)

On the iPhone, I only have a couple of guesses...it's possible that you have selected to sort the library by "Genre" in the alternate settings function of the Music app...that or you have your playlist library showing, which will be in order of how the music was added to each list. These are the only things I can think of, since by default, the main Music library on any iDevice is set to alphabetical order.
Actually on the first part of the sentence Sean pretty much explains it all and has always been the way iTunes works and installs by default unless the user changes it.

Grrrrr2

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I have used the View command (Sort Albums by name -both ascending and descending) I have altered the Sorting tab in 'Get Info' Command - But the albums are STILL OUT OF ORDER!!! And for someone with OCD, it is driving me INSANE!!!!

In one grouping I have 50+ albums (BodyStep 45 to 104), and when you are trying to find a random track (say track 5 off BodyStep 83) and they are not in alphabetical order it is VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!!! PS. Chronological order seems to do the same thing.

Did I use enough Capital letters...?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I have used the View command (Sort Albums by name -both ascending and descending) I have altered the Sorting tab in 'Get Info' Command - But the albums are STILL OUT OF ORDER!!! And for someone with OCD, it is driving me INSANE!!!!

In one grouping I have 50+ albums (BodyStep 45 to 104), and when you are trying to find a random track (say track 5 off BodyStep 83) and they are not in alphabetical order it is VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!!! PS. Chronological order seems to do the same thing.

Did I use enough Capital letters...?

Have you taken the time to leave feedback via Apple's Feedback feature? You can do so via the following link:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

As for your specific question, the answer is yes...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner