Is cleaning my iPhone 5s screen with my hand bad?

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
So ive only had this phone for about 2 months now and i am already seeing little tiny scratches on the screen. i dont have a screen protector on it because i dont like them. i dont ever use my shirt or any kind of fabric to wipe the screen with, only with my hand. do you think the scratches are caused by my hand? thank you..

How do you clean your screen with the same thing that makes it dirty?? Odd.

Anyway, I cut an old white cotton t-shirt into squares and use them to keep my screens clean. Phones and tablets. I wear glasses so I use the cotton on those too. I keep one in my pocket all the time.

Sent from my white 5s

njshoregurlz

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the hand scratched it unless u have rings etc But I use a microfiber towel and it even comes w a spray if needed (needed it much more on the note. Love the 5s screen it's easy to use a lifeprood or otterbox or just grab one if those military grade screen protector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I specifically make sure that I only clean my phone screen with the soft skin under my arm...that is the only way to prevent scratches on the screen.

Just kidding, I use a microfiber cloth.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would say to the OP that the consensus of this thread is about 95% using a Micro Fiber cloth whether you have a Screen Protector or not. With that I would stop what you are doing and go along with what works - These scratches you have now will only get worse unless you start doing what was told to you by almost everyone in the thread.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, and I honestly mean no harm in saying this... But what drives people so crazy about micro scratches? You hardly ever see them unless you are in insane sunlight with the screen turned off even then you have to be bored to really notice. I know some people look for resale or whatever but at what expense? All the time and effort put into making your iPhone flawless to the point of new condition must be exhausting... It's not an uncommon thing everyone I know is terrified to get one little tiny imperfection on their phone. It seems so exhausting and a lot of created worry over such a small thing. I understand cases and keeping the bezel and back safe from drops etc.. But micro scratches seem like such a micro problem to me. Anyone agree?

Sent from my iPhone 5s

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Everyone has different opinions on what important, for me I spend a lot on my devices and I try and keep them in the best condition possible. Does it mean I'm gonna get upset about a micro scratch, probably not. But I can understand how some can.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, and I honestly mean no harm in saying this... But what drives people so crazy about micro scratches? You hardly ever see them unless you are in insane sunlight with the screen turned off even then you have to be bored to really notice. I know some people look for resale or whatever but at what expense? All the time and effort put into making your iPhone flawless to the point of new condition must be exhausting... It's not an uncommon thing everyone I know is terrified to get one little tiny imperfection on their phone. It seems so exhausting and a lot of created worry over such a small thing. I understand cases and keeping the bezel and back safe from drops etc.. But micro scratches seem like such a micro problem to me. Anyone agree?

Sent from my iPhone 5s

NOPE.......Smile

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've never used screen protectors. I'm on my phone constantly. I like to keep my devices in the best condition possible. So far, I've been very lucky never had a scratch. That I can see anyway. I'm not going out in the sun and super analyzing it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When I ordered my Spigen case, it came with a free screen protector...I have never used one before in my life, but figured why not, so I put it on and it was on there for literally 2 seconds before I ripped it back off and threw it away. I have no idea how people use those things...

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah everyone is different, and I was just curious to see why most people I know personally took this issue so seriously yet you go sit in their 35 to 40 thousand dollar cars and the carpets are stained beyond repair, seats are ripped, old coffee all over the dash... Just makes me think that's all

Sent from my iPhone 5s

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know whether you mean literally wiping the screen with your hand, or whether you mean cleaning the screen by hand?

If it's the first - our skin produces oils, so you won't be able to clean away the smears etc., that are on it properly and may even add to them.

If you mean the second - I would suggest a cloth. You don't need to carry it with you the whole time and you maybe happy to clean it once a day, so you can leave the cloth at home? It depends how much the screen picks up and how clean you like to keep it? In regard to the scratches, these could be from anywhere; if you wear rings, or you keep the phone in a bag, or in your pocket. In any of these places, keys, coins, fine grit etc., can scratch the screen. It won't necessarily be because you wipe the screen.

Although you don't like screen protectors, it maybe preferable to use one as a sacrificial layer and change it when it's too scratched for your liking. This is what I do and is cheaper than a new screen!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox