Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Question Fully Loaded 13 in MacBook Pro Retina - or 15 inch

I am a teacher who lugs a 4 year old, 13-inch MacBook Pro to school and back every day. This computer has slowed down considerably and I want to buy a new one. Below is what I typically have open at one time.. I want to keep working like this but avoid the spinning beach ball.

open two browsers with nine tabs, plus: Word, Mail, Pathfinder, Calendar, Contacts, Evernote, Quicksilver, Preview and a few Finder tabs. I have been making Youtube videos with Screenflow, but they are less than 10 minutes and I am willing to close a lot of other apps when I do it (but probably open itunes, keynote and some others).

Opinions please: Will the new 13-inch MacBook Pro be sufficient (2.8GHz instead of 2.6, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, and TB PCIe-based Flash Storage)?

I really don't want to go to a 15-inch. I carry the computer around too much, don't have a lot of desk space at home or at school, etc.
    iMore Pro

570 Posts
    Global Posts
    573 Global Posts

Default Re: Fully Loaded 13 in MacBook Pro Retina - or 15 inch

Hello, welcome to iMore

You are saying that you have a macbook pro, so I'd advice you that instead of buying a new one, take that money and max out the one you already have, that is one of the advantages of MBP non retina, it is very customisable. For example you can add an SSD drive and remove the cd drive (if you don't use it) and you can add up to 8-16GB of RAM (if your MBP model supports it) and that will make a HUGE different in speed and performance overall and not as expensive as buying a new one. There are many websites that sell all these parts.

BUT if you still want to buy a new one then look around, there is the macbook air that is SUPER lightweight so it'll be easier to carry around, also the MBP retina with its amazing screen resolution and it is also very light (even the 15") and better specs compared to the non retina MBP

Good luck with your purchase .
    iMore Genius

14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

Based on what you have told us and a good definition of your everyday use I would go with the new 13" to make it easy on you and just make sure it has everything in it you need and want since it is an investment on your part.

12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

It really just comes down to a preference...I like a 13" chassis because it's what I am used to, but when my sister in law got her 15" retina MBP, I used it while on a trip and it was actually very nice (and audio was SUBSTANTIALLY improved over my 13"). To be honest, if I only had the 15" option or bigger, I would not be unhappy with the 15".

As it sits now though, I think I would always buy a 13" model for the convenience and portability if the option was offered.

8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

If you are looking to minimize weight, a MacBook Air with 8GB RAM should be sufficient for your listed uses.