Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default external hard drive for iphone 4S

I have an iphone 4S that I'm relatively happy with however I think it's time I download ios 6 or 7. When I try it won't let me due to not enough memory. I've been told I need an external hard drive to download most of my pictures to make more room. I'm not sure what kind, whether I need a flash drive or Media drive. I no longer have a laptop and use my phone for everything. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
    iMore Genius

14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

Default Re: external hard drive for iphone 4S

You are going to need some kind of computer for what you want to do whether you use an external hard drive or not and a flash drive will not work. I would back up everything to iCloud and it still sounds like you are going to have to remove some items because you are out of space. Once yo upgrade you are going to have to selectively put back on what will fit.

12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

There are a few options actually out there...

Kingston Wi-Drive Wireless Hard Drive - Kingston

mophie space pack For iPhone 5s/5 Memory Storage Battery Case

...and a few others that you'll have to search online for. They are over priced for the amount of storage you get, so you'd probably want to consider other benefits to the option...the Mophie Space Pack is also a back up battery pack, so it might serve you best for the cost.

8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Seagate makes an external drive that has wifi built in. You can only access the stuff on it they their app, I believe.