Wipe iPad purchased from a Pawn Shop

SMELTN

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok so my best friend purchased an iPad Mini from a pawn shop this weekend. Problem being when he got home he wanted to wipe it, but he can't wipe/restore the device because the find my device feature is enabled. It requires either the AppleID to login or the last computer it was connected to.

He contacted AppleCare and they told him to scan a copy of the receipt and send it to them, which he did, but they said its not the original receipt from the purchase. Which of course its not, he bought it second hand from a pawn shop.

This is a legit purchase not a stolen device. I understand Apple is trying to cut down on stolen devices being re-used and I agree with it, but this is one of those 5% cases where it has a flaw.

My question. Is there any way around this? How can he wipe it and use his information,etc?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt it and if it is a ligit Pawn Shop and he took it back explaining the only reason he wants to return it, They may work with him and let him return it.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but it is not Apple's responsibility to make sure that a device that is purchased second-hand has been rendered free of the activation lock enabled by the previous owner. That responsibility belongs to the purchaser. To answer your question - no, there is no way around it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There is no flaw with the device...there is a flaw with the selling practice of the pawn shop, since they sold him a locked device. He should go to the pawn shop and get a refund, if they don't offer a refund, he needs to file a police report stating they are selling a stolen product. Now the pawn shop probably isn't selling a stolen product, but this kind of police activity brings a bad name to their store, so they are more apt to helping out (when, in my experience, they are normally more of an "F' off" kind of establishment).

The device itself is simply doing what it is supposed to, and Apple is also doing what they are supposed to. There's no flaw at all.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Seems like the iPad was stolen by the person that sold it to the the pawn shop.
That person got money, the pawn shop got money and your friend lost money.

Hopefully your friend can return it to the pawn shop but it could be a all sales are final deal because it's a pawn shop.

You gotta be careful buying iPads or iPhones from private owners and pawn shops. You have to make sure the device has been restored as new.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You should be able to dfu restore but it will still likely be locked to that previous users iTunes account which makes the iPad still useless to you

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The Pawn shop has you fill out paperwork when you sell or Pawn an item so they have info on the previous owner and if they don't want to help you by either contacting the owner or refunding your money then get the law involved

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
If it was stolen then the info they gave the shop was 100% false and the number probably goes to a business or has been long disconnected. This is a reason why "The Gold and Silver" makes sure that they have that proof that any item they deal in is not stolen because they had to deal with the cops before. Now I hope that you can get this resolved without the police but the odds of that sadl aren't in your favour.

Peter Smith14

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
You should contact the previous owner by having their details from the Pawnbroker.As before selling or buying any item they signed paperwork with their customer and from there you will find the details of the previous owner who can help you with this.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure where you are in the world but here in the U.K. the law says that anything you buy has to be fit for the purpose.

Take it back to the pawnbroker, tell them to contact the previous owner to clear this issue or give you back your money.

As the item isn't fit for the purpose you'd most likely have a good case for a full refund if they don't sort it out for you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR