Does a regular power down do the same clearing of cache, memory, etc as the reset?

Marty Edwards

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I note on the Apple site itself, it says to use reset (power & home button) as a last resort. I had to do this once when my iPhone 5s would not power on. Does a regular power down do the same clearing of cache, memory, etc as the reset? Or is the forced reset a deeper cleaning of the phones state.

Thanks.

Marty Edwards

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks much for the quick response. I did not want to do a reset unless truly needed but wanted to confirm a power down was just as beneficial. I thought maybe it was but wanted to inquire here.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm I think you might be mistaken or you are saying what does not souind right to me. When toy do a power down or shut off that is all it does, My own rule of thumb...When i delete an app because it is acting weird and reinstall it or make some kind of major change even if I delete an email acct... I always do a hard reset I call it where i hold down the home and power button until the Apple logo appears, This will clear cache or remnants of any apps or email before you reinstall an app or set your email back up again. I hope we are clear on this point and if you were at this point anyway, Please excuse me as I wanted to make sure.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Regular power off and back on will not do anything.. Apps will still reside in App switcher and RAM will still be used up by other apps.

To properly clear RAM and and Cache , please do the following. Hold down the Power and Home button for 10 secs you will then see the Apple logo appear. You just completed a hard reset.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Regular power off and back on will not do anything.. Apps will still reside in App switcher and RAM will still be used up by other apps.

To properly clear RAM and and Cache , please do the following. Hold down the Power and Home button for 10 secs you will then see the Apple logo appear. You just completed a hard reset.
This was my fear of the OPs misunderstanding and why I gave the same advice to clarify to him. Thank you.

Marty Edwards

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feed back. I had searched much and could never find a definitive answer as to if the two button reset was a deeper cleaning than simply a power off. The information here helps and I suppose periodically I could just do the power / home button reset to clear out things after many apps have been removed, or maybe right before an os upgrade.

Thanks again. The 5s is my first iPhone and really enjoying it after a few Androids preceded by Blackberries.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Does a regular power down do the same clearing of cache, memory, etc as the r...

[

Pardon me, I tried to delete my post. And I learned something new. I was left under the impression, that was a soft reset.
Thanks for also clearing that up for me. 😊

Last edited: