How to remove pictures from your iPhone BACK-UP in Windows 7 to reduce size of restore file

I

iMore Question

I need help!!
I was trying to upgrade my operating system on my iPhone 4 so I did the back-up into my computer from iTunes. I then downloaded the operating system. I then proceeded to turn on the iPhone and it asked me if I wanted a New Phone Set up or restore back-up from the Cloud or from my computer. I clicked on "From my computer" and it appeared that the back-up was on its way, however, it halted and told me that my iPhone did not have enough space. That's it. no further information.

I am thinking that because the new operating system probably takes more space, my phone no longer bring back all the items it previously backed up. I had approximately 2000 pictures that I had already backed up a different time. So my logical thinking was that I would go in the back up that was made, and remove the pictures before restoring the back-up in the iPhone so that this should give it plenty more space.

I am trying to locate my backup however, it does not appear that I can look at the content of to those files, so I would not know what to remove.... or how to even open the files.... I really need help here.

Thank you!
Silvia

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you download the iCloud control panel for windows, Install it and deselect everything except photos, The open your camera roll and close it, Be on WIFI and all your photos will Download to your computer to the folder the control panel installed, You can if you want to now remove all of those photos. Backup your phone w/o the photos on there and you should have enoug space to complete the OS install..

iCloud Control Panel 3.1 for Windows

Your backup would be under the Edit tab under preferences but if you were going to do as suggested you can delete that since when you are done you are going to make a new backup anyway.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Your situation is somewhat similar to mine. I needed to get pictures out of the backup at one time. Although there is a process where you can retrieve the files and rename extensions in the iPod Photo Cache on your computer. It is a very arduous procedure and there will be a ton of files. I found it way easier to buy an app called Picturescue that automatically locates the backup and retrieves the pictures. You can find it at http://www.picturescueapp.com unfortunately it is a Mac only app and you would have to pay for it.

I may be wrong but it sounds like to me you want to extract the pictures from the backup to make it smaller. Even if you remove the pictures they will still remain in the backup. It would take high level advance knowledge to know what to extract from the backup. Try doing a restore in iTunes which will reload iOS and allow you to restore from the backup again. See if you get the same message again.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods