What to do if soap got into your phone?

I

iMore Question

before yesterday i wanted to clean my iphone 5s screen because it was so dirty .. i forgot it was a smart phone so i rubbed the screen with a little of soap and then a towel with water after that i realized it was a phone and stopped what i was doing then a little part of the screen got purple i didn't worry because the phone was working fine yesterday half of the screen turned purple !! today morning the whole screen was purple .. what should i do please help me :(

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: What to do if soap got into you're phone ?

before yesterday i wanted to clean my iphone 5s screen because it was so dirty .. i forgot it was a smart phone so i rubbed the screen with a little of soap and then a towel with water after that i realized it was a phone and stopped what i was doing then a little part of the screen got purple i didn't worry because the phone was working fine yesterday half of the screen turned purple !! today morning the whole screen was purple .. what should i do please help me :(

Turn it off and put in bag of rice to dry for 24 hours minimum and hope it goes away

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

If the screen turned purple in the fashion you said, you probably got water/soap in between the glass and digitizer (and most likely on the board as well)...the phone is probably screwed, and you will need to take it somewhere for screen replacement AND water damage repair most likely.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
What to do if soap got into you're phone ?

Turn it off and put it in a bag of rice for at least 24 hours. That's the best you can do. It's probably too late though. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Typically, to make the rice bag thing work, you have to turn the phone off IMMEDIATELY after it gets wet on the inside...this person obviously kept trying to use the thing, and the damage has been done.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

You can try the bag of rice, but at this point you should bring it in to be checked out.

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Rice should do the trick. In the future, always use a lens cleaning wipe to clean your phone.

This post was made by Tiffany

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Hopefully it can be salvaged but for future reference don't put water & soap on your phone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Rice should do the trick. In the future, always use a lens cleaning wipe to clean your phone.

This post was made by Tiffany

Again, rice bagging typically only works if you've shut off the phone immediately after the water is introduced to the phone...this prevents the electronic components from getting power while wet. This scenario, where the screen is all fouled up, it is pretty likely that because the OP kept using the device, that the damage has been done.

Yehet2018

Apr 17, 2018
Visit site
I also wiped my phone, and it was a Samsung, and I kinda wiped it with dishwashing soap mixed with water on a bounty towel. The day That I did it, the phone was perfectly fine, and on the next day, there was white coloumns on both sides. The phone was still operatable, it's just that the white coloumns covered some of the screen. One of my friends said that she dropped her iPhone in a pool, and it was covered in white coloumns, and two or three weeks later, it was normal. But I'm still not sure what's going to happened. I'm worried my phone is going to stay like that permanently. Plz help!

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Why did you not take a soft cloth and clean the screen that way?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I also wiped my phone, and it was a Samsung, and I kinda wiped it with dishwashing soap mixed with water on a bounty towel. The day That I did it, the phone was perfectly fine, and on the next day, there was white coloumns on both sides. The phone was still operatable, it's just that the white coloumns covered some of the screen. One of my friends said that she dropped her iPhone in a pool, and it was covered in white coloumns, and two or three weeks later, it was normal. But I'm still not sure what's going to happened. I'm worried my phone is going to stay like that permanently. Plz help!

Never ever ever wash your phone with water and soap. These are electrical devices. Soap/water mixtures don't work well with these devices. It's hard to know what is going to happen to your phone. Moisture effects things in varying ways. There's a good chance you messed something up. Hopefully you've got some sort of insurance on your device.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

FYI: The post you’re replying to is from 4 years ago.

That is because on April 17th there were still responses appreciated as seen in the photograph.

7b1440f3496469b588e33f1e2d71690d.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73