Hi, I'm sure this topic gets tossed around a lot but i could use some help. I'm looking for a great pair of in ear monitors to use with my iPhone 5 as i have been mainly using $20-$40 pairs for a while now and am looking for something with better sound here's some things I'm looking for..............

-I listen to strictly metal, hard rock, alternative, post hardcore etc.
    -bass is important I like a great punchy bass sound but not enough to over power the rest of the music like I've been told beats tend to do.
    -looking to spend between $100-$150.
    -durability is huge for me want them to last a good amount time if properly cared for.
    -not a must but inline controls and mic would be preferred.

Also apple users has anyone tried any of the eq apps in the app store? And do any of them actually help to enhance your listening experience?

Thanks
    02-05-2014 03:52 PM
    Do you also know that under your settings app and going to music there is an EQ that you might want to turn on and try to see what that will do for you when you listen to your music but that is the only reason I would use it. You can art least try it and see. Good luck and hope you find the right combo. I have a set of Bose and Shure an ear noise cancel in ear buds that are over $150.00 - $200.00 and the best ones I use the most and and like the most cost me $79.00 at Best Buy and i love them and come with several sizes of silicone ear pieces to fit your properly.
    02-05-2014 04:07 PM
    Yes I'm aware of the eq in the settings was just wondering if any of the apps have better results.

Thanks
    02-05-2014 05:21 PM
    If bass is the most important aspect of the music you listen to and a more balanced sound isn't a priority...Sony and Beats both make a selling point of offering bass heavy in ear headsets.

Personally, I'd go with a set of Etymotic's...I usually use my Bose quiet comfort over ear headphones, but I have a set of Etymotic Micro Pros and they have fantastic sound (balanced sound, noise cancelation and not bass heavy), I just don't particularly care for in ears because every one I have ever tried has hurt my ears after more than an hour of usage.

As far as EQ's, don't waste your time...after you listen to music with the built in EQ set to normal with a nice pair of headphones, you'll realize that there really isn't a digital way to overcome what the hardware can't give in performance.
    02-05-2014 06:51 PM
    I am looking for a more balanced sound want bass presence just not so heavy like beats provide. The Etymotic Micro Pros are bit out of my price range at this time. Doing some research on Bose in ear mei2i and shure se215 at the moment.
    02-05-2014 07:25 PM
    ---snipped---

Also apple users has anyone tried any of the eq apps in the app store? And do any of them actually help to enhance your listening experience?

Thanks
    The Audyssey Mediaapp is very good, in my opinion. It auto-detects the headphones you're wearing and adjust the sound accordingly. You can check it out via the following link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audyssey-media-player/id569331902?mt=8
    02-05-2014 07:31 PM
    The best thing to do is try some out. When it comes to sound, I feel you can get advice from others but you still have to listen for yourself. I use Bose and Beats headphones and both serve different purposes. When it comes to jazz and old school R&B, I use my Bose headsets. When I listen to hip hop, rock & pop, I use my Beats. It all comes down to personal preference. Good Luck
    02-05-2014 09:36 PM
    The best thing to do is try some out. When it comes to sound, I feel you can get advice from others but you still have to listen for yourself. I use Bose and Beats headphones and both serve different purposes. When it comes to jazz and old school R&B, I use my Bose headsets. When I listen to hip hop, rock & pop, I use my Beats. It all comes down to personal preference. Good Luck
    The problem with in ear headphones is that you can't really try them out at the store (that'd be pretty gross if you could, lol).
    02-06-2014 07:26 AM
    I am looking for a more balanced sound want bass presence just not so heavy like beats provide. The Etymotic Micro Pros are bit out of my price range at this time. Doing some research on Bose in ear mei2i and shure se215 at the moment.
    The Micro Pro's are expensive, no doubt (mine were a gift, so I didn't have to buy them and probably never would have bought them)...the company offers a range of in ear headphones though, and based on the quality of mine, I would say that even the cheaper models would still offer substantial quality in build and sound.
    02-06-2014 07:27 AM
    The problem with in ear headphones is that you can't really try them out at the store (that'd be pretty gross if you could, lol).
    I completely missed the in ear part...Good catch!!
    02-06-2014 10:02 AM