Found Water Damaged IPhone 5 - What to do?

Irish_Cutie1

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Okay so I was out walking with the dog today when I found a really battered iphone 5 laying on the ground. It looks as though the screen has been replaced and it is cracked and bashed up.The circle button has been replaced as is a different colour to the rest of the phone. It was laying in a puddle of water and is very badly water damaged. I don't really know what to do. I advertised it on a local facebook page but no luck as yet, people keep messaging saying its theirs but don't mention the different colour button in the description. I had no rice in the house so wrapped it in a dry towel in a warm room. My local Apple store is 3 hours away and I can't drive... I called my local police station and they didn't seem all that interested in helping and I worry that if I leave it in then the owner will never get it back. I live in a small town so am hopeful I will find whoever lost it but what can I do to prevent further water damage? It won't switch on for me to check for contact details

What should I do?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Seems like you posted a double thread. Here's my response from your other post: I'm not sure what else to tell you. It seems like you've gone above and beyond to return this phone back to its owner. Hopefully someone will contact you soon.

Welcome to iMore!!!

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to IMore, seems like you've done quite a bit already, except for putting it in rice. There ain't much more you can do.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like a hopeless case but you tried to help the original owner

Thanks for bringing your good deed to the iMore communities attention

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
You can only go so far. I would actually go to the police station and turn over the phone and then you have really done your good deed. I do not think the police can turn you away. (Actually I would have gone to the police station first as I have in the past when I found other lost items)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. It sounds to me like you've done all you can do. Is there a local newspaper with a lost and found section?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would agree that to bring it to your local Police and let them have it and deal with it is the best thing to do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR