How to set a hard data limit on iPhone 5?

I

iMore Question

My elderly father-in law has an iPhone 5. He just have 300mb of data, which is fine because he basically is using his phone at home. Problem is that occassionaly his wifi router goes out and the phone uses his cellular data very fast.

I found that I can turn off the cellular data, but that isn't ideal becuase it is good for him to have access to it when he is out without having to teach him and rely upon him to turn it off and on.

On my HTC I have the ability to set a data use warning level and a seperate hard cap on data use for the month.

Can this be done on the iPhone 5? If not, is there an app that will do this or at least alert him that he is using data and/or approaching a data limit?

Thanks

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe there is a way to put a hard limit on data usage from the phone itself. Your best bet would be to talk to his cell provider. Most will send you a text message when you approach 100% of your data usage. They may also be willing to put a hard cap on data usage from their end.

Last edited:

CardsFan314

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Who's your provider? AT&T has a feature called smart limits which allows you to put caps on data usage.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe there is a way to put a hard limit on data usage from the phone itself. Your best bet would be to talk to his cell provider. Most will send you a text message when you approach 100% of your data usage. They may also be willing to put a hard cap on data usage from their end.

ATT will send you a notification, but with a 300mb plan, that notification is often too late to prevent the overage. ATT will also, apparently, sell you a $5/month plan to allow you to set a hard cap, but wont just cap it for free from what I can see.

May 7, 2013
Visit site

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This is handled so elegantly on Android, I don't understand why it can't be so on iOS.

How to Monitor Data Usage on Android

I do see that there are some iOS apps that you can at least monitor and get warnings at specified thresholds such as

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/data-monitor-manage-data-usage/id576233634?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

but, from what I have been reading, you have to be sure to start the app anytime you restart the phone as it will get shut down on a restart.

Yeah I missed that too when I went from Android to iPhone for a short time awhile back. On the iPhone I just used an app, but I don't recall now which one it was. I don't have an iPhone right now.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have Verizon & this can be done free of charge from their app. They'll also send text notifications when you approach 50, 75, 90 & 100% of your data usage for the month.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My suggestion is to switch him to a prepaid plan. Since it seems like you are AT&T, he could move to a service like AIO or Straight Talk that would merely throttle after he has used the data allotment; or you could go with H20, GoPhone, Black, or other prepaid plan that will just cut data off when the limit is reached. You might also look at other carriers (depending on what works where you father needs his phone), for example, T-Mobile throttles after you have used your data allotment but does not charge extra.

Ihearttexas

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Actually you are incorrect. SmartLimits CANNOT limit data usage. It's more for blocking specific phone numbers and times they can text/ receive calls. That's it. And for $5.00 a month don't see much value for the service.

Taken directly from att.com:

Smart Limits service limitations
Not currently available for prepaid phones or corporate liable accounts.
Does not work for limiting or restricting data usage on tablets and non-LTE BlackBerry devices, or while user is on Wi-Fi.
Allowed and Blocked Numbers work for enabling and blocking voice calls and text messages only and do not enable or prevent the use of instant messaging (e.g., iMessages, Blackberry Messenger, etc.), MMS messaging or Video Share.
Can't set a monthly limit for voice minutes. All incoming calls are allowed at all times, including during time restrictions, except from numbers designated as Blocked Numbers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You can monitor data in settings. But it has to be reset at the beginning of each billing period for each month. Settings>Cellular> scroll down to Reset Statistics Tap to reset.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2