Hi, I just noticed that a blue vertical bar intermittantly floats from left to right on my ipad screen. Tough to replicate exactly when it happens, appears it does right when I enter apps on occasion. I tried to shut off and turn back on but the problem happened again. Anyone know what could have caused this and how to fix?
    01-30-2014 04:34 PM
    No, I have no idea what that could be. Is there any writings or drawings on the bar when it floats across the screen? You might want to make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store just in case the display is going bad.
    01-30-2014 04:49 PM
    Post a pic maybe

Sent from my iPhone 5 with the iMore Forums App
    01-30-2014 06:03 PM
    No, I have no idea what that could be. Is there any writings or drawings on the bar when it floats across the screen? You might want to make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store just in case the display is going bad.
    No, there are no numbers or letters. This iPad is brand new too.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app
    01-30-2014 06:03 PM
    Well being new you can try and reboot it by holding down the power and home button until the Apple logo appears and if this does not help I would go to the Apple genius bar by appt ASAP. Good luck.
    01-30-2014 06:25 PM
    If its brand new, I say get it swapped out. There's no need in trying to guess what's wrong with it when you're still well within your warranty and/or return window.
    01-30-2014 07:46 PM
    You guys are going to die when you find out what this was from which I just figured out. The apple rep didn't even know about this. Go into settings, accessibility, switch control. Turn it on and this problem will replicate for you. Useless feature that just convinced this really tech savvy guy that his iPad was messed up.

nikkisharif likes this.
    01-30-2014 08:23 PM
    You guys are going to die when you find out what this was from which I just figured out. The apple rep didn't even know about this. Go into settings, accessibility, switch control. Turn it on and this problem will replicate for you. Useless feature that just convinced this really tech savvy guy that his iPad was messed up.

Wow!!!
    01-30-2014 08:36 PM
    How did it get turned on in the first place
    01-30-2014 09:07 PM
    How did it get turned on in the first place
    I have no idea. I think a glitch turned it on because I surely didn't.

01-30-2014 09:11 PM

That's weird
    01-30-2014 09:12 PM
    That is very weird. It would be nice to know what the intended purpose is.
    01-31-2014 07:29 AM
    That is very weird. It would be nice to know what the intended purpose is.
    I think the bar is meant to work in unison with some of the other switch features that need to be turned on at the same time for it to serve a function, but that is just my best guess. I wish apple would invest more time in advanced gestures and other cool customizations rather than switches that 1% of the population may use and 99% who have no idea what the purpose is for.

01-31-2014 08:09 AM

Its possible you have it set as a "tripple-click" of the home button. I believe it's one of the options.
    01-31-2014 09:07 AM
    I think the bar is meant to work in unison with some of the other switch features that need to be turned on at the same time for it to serve a function, but that is just my best guess. I wish apple would invest more time in advanced gestures and other cool customizations rather than switches that 1% of the population may use and 99% who have no idea what the purpose is for.

Its an accessibility option. Basically for someone disabled, they would have a switch that they can push at the appropriate time to select something that's under the blue line.
    01-31-2014 09:07 AM

Apple is well known for making their devices as accessible as possible. And it should stay that way. I can't even begin to imagine the difficulties of having a disability and anything apple can do to make their lives easier and better I think that's great.
    One of the coolest things I've seen is a grandma taking pics of her grand kids with an iPhone because with the right options turned on the camera app will tell you when you are focused on a face so that she knew when to tap on the shutter button.
    01-31-2014 09:17 AM
    It just began last night and is about an inch wide.
    05-05-2015 02:02 PM
    It still has come back
    05-05-2015 02:10 PM
    It still has come back
    So "Switch Control" is toggled off, but you still see this blue bar? Take it to Apple or whoever you nought it from and swap for another.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮
    05-06-2015 07:21 AM
    Thank you so much! I've had that problem for more than a year on my old iPad. I assume it was broken...lol
    10-02-2015 04:18 AM
    The blue vertical bar means that someone has set some apps up for access via switch scanning. We usually do this with communication apps. Go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Switch Control, and turn that off.
    10-22-2015 03:43 PM
    Settings>General>Accessibility>Switch Control (turn off for now)>Switches>Add a new switch>Full Screen>Select the first item, "Select" as the action when you turn on Switch Control and tap anywhere on the screen. Now go back 2 pages and turn on Switch control. You should see the vertical blue bar going across. Tap the screen, it brings up a menu. Quickly tap on the first item, called "item mode". This toggles off the blue gliding cursor. Triple tap the home button to turn Switch Control off. Now the blue bar is gone for good.
    10-22-2015 04:05 PM
    Settings>General>Accessibility>Switch Control (turn off for now)>Switches>Add a new switch>Full Screen>Select the first item, "Select" as the action when you turn on Switch Control and tap anywhere on the screen. Now go back 2 pages and turn on Switch control. You should see the vertical blue bar going across. Tap the screen, it brings up a menu. Quickly tap on the first item, called "item mode". This toggles off the blue gliding cursor. Triple tap the home button to turn Switch Control off. Now the blue bar is gone for good.
    Thank you for that info! Most here, including myself, didn't have a clue about that little used feature. Well done!
    10-22-2015 05:49 PM
    Want to get rid of blue bar
    07-18-2016 10:56 PM
    Mine is greed out and can't turn on. iPad Air2.
    07-20-2016 10:33 AM
28 12