Blue vertical bar

I

iMore Question

Hi, I just noticed that a blue vertical bar intermittantly floats from left to right on my ipad screen. Tough to replicate exactly when it happens, appears it does right when I enter apps on occasion. I tried to shut off and turn back on but the problem happened again. Anyone know what could have caused this and how to fix?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I have no idea what that could be. Is there any writings or drawings on the bar when it floats across the screen? You might want to make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store just in case the display is going bad.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
No, I have no idea what that could be. Is there any writings or drawings on the bar when it floats across the screen? You might want to make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store just in case the display is going bad.

No, there are no numbers or letters. This iPad is brand new too.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well being new you can try and reboot it by holding down the power and home button until the Apple logo appears and if this does not help I would go to the Apple genius bar by appt ASAP. Good luck.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
If its brand new, I say get it swapped out. There's no need in trying to guess what's wrong with it when you're still well within your warranty and/or return window.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You guys are going to die when you find out what this was from which I just figured out. The apple rep didn't even know about this. Go into settings, accessibility, switch control. Turn it on and this problem will replicate for you. Useless feature that just convinced this really tech savvy guy that his iPad was messed up.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You guys are going to die when you find out what this was from which I just figured out. The apple rep didn't even know about this. Go into settings, accessibility, switch control. Turn it on and this problem will replicate for you. Useless feature that just convinced this really tech savvy guy that his iPad was messed up.

Wow!!!

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That is very weird. It would be nice to know what the intended purpose is.

I think the bar is meant to work in unison with some of the other switch features that need to be turned on at the same time for it to serve a function, but that is just my best guess. I wish apple would invest more time in advanced gestures and other cool customizations rather than switches that 1% of the population may use and 99% who have no idea what the purpose is for.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think the bar is meant to work in unison with some of the other switch features that need to be turned on at the same time for it to serve a function, but that is just my best guess. I wish apple would invest more time in advanced gestures and other cool customizations rather than switches that 1% of the population may use and 99% who have no idea what the purpose is for.

Its an accessibility option. Basically for someone disabled, they would have a switch that they can push at the appropriate time to select something that's under the blue line.

Mikermann

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
The blue vertical bar means that someone has set some apps up for access via switch scanning. We usually do this with communication apps. Go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Switch Control, and turn that off.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods