Problem with mail searches when tied to an Exchange account

I

iMore Question

I support 30 iphone users who use mail through activesync to an Exchange mailbox. All of those users have a problem searching their email. When they perform searches email results are duplicated. We've figured out the reason, in iOS 7 (not 6), the mail app first searches the local cache and then sends a search request to Exchange. When Exchange comes back, the results are added to the local cache results (instead of merged) which results in dupes. We've reported this problem to apple and they say this is expected behavior. Very frustrating. Anyone else having the same problem or have any suggestions?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I can certainly understand your frustration and I too do not use exchange. Do you have to use exchange? Lastly I think Apple slipped a bit by telling you this is expected behavior - On the outset have you called your service provider to see what they might be able to help you on what can be done, You have nothing to lose.

kenag122002

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I don't use exchange and I don't understand how it's frustrating. Just ignore the duplicate.

To be clear, if google had this problem and every search result was duplicated and you ended up having to page through twice as much to get to what you're looking for you don't think there would be an uproar? It's fine if you dont use exchange, please don't try to tell me what I'm allowed to not like! Thank you!

kenag122002

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I can certainly understand your frustration and I too do not use exchange. Do you have to use exchange? Lastly I think Apple slipped a bit by telling you this is expected behavior - On the outset have you called your service provider to see what they might be able to help you on what can be done, You have nothing to lose.

I appreciate the reply and suggestions!

Yes, Exchange is part of our infrastructure. There is no service provider, I am the service provider for a multi billion dollar company. We have a very robust exchange environment with hundreds of mailboxes and mail going back 10 years. The only mail issue we have currently is related to these searches on iOS7. The same searches worked correctly on iOS6 and on Android phones and in Outlook and in numerous other platforms.

There's nothing any service provider could do anyway, the problem is on the device itself. iOS7 searches the local cache then initiates a search to Exchange via activesync in order to see results that are not stored locally on the phone (i.e. if you have your phone set to sync 1 week but you have search results going back a year). When those results are (correctly) returned to the device, the iphone adds them to the existing list found locally, so anything locally is duplicated. The bug is that Apple is unable or unwilling to merge the results when both sets of searches return the same value.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
To be clear, if google had this problem and every search result was duplicated and you ended up having to page through twice as much to get to what you're looking for you don't think there would be an uproar? It's fine if you dont use exchange, please don't try to tell me what I'm allowed to not like! Thank you!

I value your opinion and Welcome to iMore. :)

superchop555

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Mr. IOS Gravity, what use is your putting a comment here if you do not understand the question or how the user is feeling. IMO you are a giant ****.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2