Best USA Carrier?

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I'll be moving to USA for 4 years for school.. My friends have told me to go with AT&T or T-Mobile. They also told me regarding roaming outside USA when I visit my family in Canada again I won't be charged for incoming text messages and keep Data Off and I'll get 0 charges. They told me that Verizon on the other hand charges 0.05 for text messages which I don't like..
Keeping my Rogers SIM card will be more expensive as they do have a monthly plan of $40 but that will be too much money on top of my plan I use in Canada every month. If I was staying for only 1-4 months then I would not change. please let me know your opinions thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The best carrier is the one that has the best signal and coverage in the area you are going to be and want to use your phone the most.... that's not going to be the same for everyone in every area... for example - where I live - between Minneapolis, MN & Des Moines, IA - we have Verizon, US Cellular, and T-Mobile affiliate iWireless... the rest of the companies may appear to provide service around here - but in reality, their signal is marginal at best... it's all about location, location, location...

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes I'll probably go for T-Mobile I'll be staying within the city of Boston. I'm not to familiar with Verizon and CDMA. also I'm not happy on why they charge for incoming text messages while roaming. That I don't get. AT&T and tmobile don't. That's my other concern as I'll be going to Canada to visit my family sometimes..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have family in Boston (just outside actually in New Hampshire), and we visit often...AT&T worked well there, even venturing outside into the major suburbs, and I was still able to get LTE coverage most places we visited (especially within the city obviously).

In Atlanta (my home town), AT&T works flawlessly, so it is the carrier I stick with.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't name a "best", I can only reflect my own usage experience. AT&T has been best FOR ME in Atlanta, and worked well in the Boston area when we visited. You being a resident in Boston may regularly find yourself in areas where the service doesn't work well...where me, being a visitor at best, had a much less defined experience vs. a resident.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok.. I guess I'll choose between T-Mobile and AT&T and plans and pricing.
These 2 carriers don't charge for incoming text messages while roaming right? Like how Verizon does..

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok I see here on both websites outside USA the text messages incoming are based on domestic plan it would take it from there. So it's free but sending is 0.50 it shows.. That's ok I guess when I visit my family in Canada..

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I've used all the major US carriers and in terms of network performance and customer service I'd have to say AT&T & Verizon...followed T-Mobile with Sprint bringing up the rear. As already stated it depends on the network performance where YOU live. I'm in Maryland near Washington DC. You may want to check http://opensignal.com/coverage-maps/US/

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What phone do you have since all iPhones sold in Canada are GSM and my not work on all carriers in the US.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know.. I've never used a US Carrier. Only time is went to visit my school in Boston downtown. I had my Canadian SIM card with ROGERS. So I had AT&T and I had mostly steady 4-5 bars . So I'm guessing AT&T has good coverage there.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ya I'll be unlocking it. Since 4 years straight is to long to roam with a Rogers sim Lol.. Anyways I'll probably go with AT&T as when I went down there to check out my school on Boston I picked up AT&T signal when I landed and had steady 4-5 bars

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok.. I'll be going with AT&T when I arrive there.from my previous experience when I went to check out my school and picked up AT&T with my rogers sim and had steady 4-5 bars so it's good service there and like there plans.

Thanks for your help guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2