Help : Mac running slow after RAM upgrade

kenzo_44

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

After installing Mavericks, my Mac is running very slow.

I upgraded my Mac's RAM to 12GB and my Mac has 800GB free memory. I see the beach ball often and it takes a long time to start and shut down.

Is it slow because of a virus ? :huh: (assumption)

How can I improve the speed and make it more efficient ?

Thanks for your support.

Regards,
Kenzo

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hang in there and Welcome to iMore. I am sure very soon one of our members or staff will help that has more Mac experience than me. Thank you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it's your machine. He spinning beach all is one of the top complaints in regard to OS X Mavericks.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

kenzo_44

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
When I click on an application or I want to open somehing, the icon just keeps bouncing on my dock and takes a long time.

I have read many blogs and watched many videos on how to speed up the mac. I tried all options.

I would like to know why its happening

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
One thing you can try is to check Activity Monitor for which app or apps are consuming resources. If an app is hung or in a wait state, then you'll probably also see the beach ball. If an app continues to hang, the process can be ended via Activity Monitor.

Another area to check is the Console. It will show any issues or errors that may be occurring.

Since it sounds like you recently upgraded to Mavericks, were any hanging apps or beach balls occurring prior to the upgrade?

The RAM upgrade should definitely help with or without Mavericks. When you say there's 800MB free, is that free RAM or free Hard drive space?

kenzo_44

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
800GB is free hard drive space and 12GB is my total RAM...I have checked the activity monitor and found nothing unusual. Should I do a PRAM ?

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion would be to remove the RAM you installed and see if the problem persists. If this fixed the problem, I'd guess that the RAM is either faulty or was seated wrong.

If it doesn't fix the problem, you'll need to dig deeper.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

After installing Mavericks, my Mac is running very slow.

I upgraded my Mac's RAM to 12GB and my Mac has 800GB free memory. I see the beach ball often and it takes a long time to start and shut down.

Is it slow because of a virus ? :huh: (assumption)

How can I improve the speed and make it more efficient ?

Thanks for your support.

Regards,
Kenzo

Check the specs of your Mac and see how much RAM is was designed to support.... putting in more RAM than the device was designed to support is counter productive.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
More RAM can slow you down.

It could be the module, also if it's different size modules , also the modules you used may have greater latency.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Could be a number of things...if the computer is performing WORSE after installing the RAM, uninstall the RAM you just put in and see if it returns to normal performance. If this is the case, return the RAM you bought and have it replaced.

If it continues running slowly, you probably have a drive issue of some sort (reading through your responses and stated issues). I would run a check on the hard drive and see if it needs to be repaired. Disk utility can walk you through all of that.

kenzo_44

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey Sean

My hard drive makes a boiler noise rarely...

Should I verify and repair disk permission or verify and repair just disk...Whats the difference between both ?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative