Had my ipad mini screen replaced and it broke on its own

I

iMore Question

About a year ago, I dropped my ipad mini on a concrete patio and it came out with some cracks, but nothing detrimental, just annoying. Of course I didn't buy apple care so for a while I was just dealing with it. Then, about a month ago a Facebook friend referred me to a local business that does ipad repairs and mods for decent prices, so I jumped on the chance to get my screen fixed without buying another ipad. The guy was really knowledgable and the turnaround was super fast, but a couple days after I got my mini back, I noticed the lower right corner was lifting up. I didn't say anything, and pretty soon I noticed the top center portion seemed to be lifted as well. Maybe he didn't so the adhesive properly? Anyway, I've been super careful with it but I now have two GIANT cracks in the screen that basically form a plus sign, and they seem to have appeared out of nowhere. I've had a case on, haven't dropped it, sat anything on it, nothing, so I'm pretty upset that its broke again. My question is - is this normal for the mini screen to break all on its own (side note my husband also has one and his is pristine). Or, did the repair guy do something wrong, and if so, should I let him know or just go somewhere else?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Was the repair work guaranteed?

Depending on how much another repair cost you may want consider getting a new one.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You should definitely take it back to where you got it repaired and if the work isn't guaranteed, you may want to get another mini.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
It would appear that the glass wasn't seated properly causing it to crack. Something underneath may have caused pressure on areas resulting in the crack.
I agree to take it back to the original repair shop. Be nice and maybe they will replace it for you. :) it's worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Danielle Lankford

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I contacted the guy today and he says he's moving on Monday (we live on a military base so lots of people come and go) and he's already had all his supplies and equipment shipped to his next base. How convenient. Looks like I, in the market for a new ipad.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2