Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By linsiris
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default iTunes sync issue after reformatting my hard drive

recently i formated my hard drive which had my itunes on it. now when i try to sync to itunes it wants to erase all my data and start from scratch. i have too much stuff on there that i don't want to loose. is there any way to sync to itunes without loosing all my stuff? i have iphone 4s if that helps... and thanks for any help
    iMore Pro

570 Posts
    Global Posts
    573 Global Posts

Default itunes sync?

Since you formatted your disk now it doesn't recognize it, and takes it as a "new" computer. You can still back up and authorize your computer again so it can transfer your purchases and settings, that way you won't lose your info.
    To do that, just plug your iPhone, open iTunes in your computer, right click on the iPhone when listed and choose "back up" and or "transfer purchases".

As for the music...well, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), you can't sync your music (the one you didn't buy from iTunes Store) back from your iPhone to iTunes, you'll need a 3rd party program to do that.

Just_Me_D likes this.