Need some advice, it's kinda compilcated

SteampunkGhost

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
So, I'd like to buy an iPhone, and I'm trying to decide between the 5 or 5S, but unfortunately then there's a bunch of other stuff. For example if i get a CDMA carrier iPhone (lets just say sprint) will I have to sign a contract with them? And if I buy a bad ESN 5S (verizon) will it work on any GSM carriers in the US? I've heard of people putting in t-mobile SIM cards into their 5S and it working fine. And I know that the 5 acme pre-unlocked on verizon so would it work with t-mobile? Thanks in advance!

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. The Verizon comes unlocked out of the box but Sprint doesn't allow that. I think T-Mobile is unlocked since I was on the Apple website, trying to buy an iPhone. The unlocked and T-Mobile versions cost the same. The T-Mobile version came with the T-Mobile sim.

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
if you buy a phone with the discounted two year price then you would have to sign a contract- You could buy it outright from apple without a contract- or you could go the used route- To the best of my knowledge if you buy a phone with a bad ESN then you can't activate it period-

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon version of the 5S will indeed work on US GSM providers... If you buy a phone at full retail from a provider, or bring a 3rd party device, you'll have no contract.