windows on mac, android on ios?

brex

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Not a fanboy, personally really like android and ios. But considering the fact that android runs on pretty much anything, wouldn't it be a smart move for apple to offer android dual boot/something similar? Like they did with bootcamp? If nothing else it would put peoples' foot in apple's ecosystem, which is a pretty damn good way to convert some people.

Would get attention from people who love iphones build quality/apple service but like customization too.

Just a thought, and wondering if it had ever been addressed before.
(besides a few years ago when someone hacked android 2.3 gingerbread on iphone 3g- awful)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not a fanboy, personally really like android and ios. But considering the fact that android runs on pretty much anything, wouldn't it be a smart move for apple to offer android dual boot/something similar? Like they did with bootcamp? If nothing else it would put peoples' foot in apple's ecosystem, which is a pretty damn good way to convert some people.

Would get attention from people who love iphones build quality/apple service but like customization too.

Just a thought, and wondering if it had ever been addressed before.
(besides a few years ago when someone hacked android 2.3 gingerbread on iphone 3g- awful)

Never heard anyone suggest this before. I do not see Apple ever doing anything to work with Google relative to the Android OS. Just not gonna happen, IMHO.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I run Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my Mac Mini in order to retain software compatibility for several video games that I like to play which do not have OS X ports. I actually hate being booted into Windows 7 but I'll go days or weeks at a time without booting OS X if I'm not doing anything else (chromebook power off to browsing is faster than opening Chrome in Windows 7 LOL!)

With iOS/Android it is the exact opposite. I wouldn't mind being able to boot to iOS on my Android devices (Note 3 and Nexus 7 2012) but I have no need of Android on my iPod Touch. There isn't a lot of Android software that I'm hungry for on my Touch but there are some iOS apps/games I would love to be able to use on my phone and tablet. iOS has some exclusive content from a few different companies as well that it would be nice to have rather than some lousy generic format (i.e. Games Workshop does iOS for their ebooks or a generic out-of-app format that I have to spend time downloading to a third party reader etc etc)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think "Boot Camp" really only exists in OSX because of how limited OSX used to be when it came to popular software...now that that limitation is slowly closing, it becomes less and less a necessity for Apple to include such a function within OSX, but I doubt they'd just up and delete it, because there are still quite a few things people use Windows for, and Apple has, for years, bragged about how Windows runs better on MacBooks than it does on comparable Windows based machines.

With iOS, the rest of the world was kind of playing catchup (as far as features and apps go), so in that, I doubt Apple felt a need to offer a dual boot for any legitimate purpose, because everything you could do on Android devices (of relevance to functionality), you could do on the iPhone. That window has obviously closed up quite a bit too, and the major competitors to the iPhone aren't really playing catch up at all anymore, but there still remains the necessity for it, and as far as I can tell, there really isn't one.

To put it simply, there's really no reason to offer the feature. Apple didn't include the boot camp ability because people preferred to use Windows, Apple included it because people NEEDED to use Windows for certain things. There's no similar scenario with Android.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2