What type of iPad for 8 year old

I

iMore Question

My daughter really wants an iPad for her birthday this year. They are starting to use tablets (not Apple ones) in her classroom and she will probably use primarily for games and educational purposes. She is not super in to computers or gaming, but does have a few apps that she likes. I understand that she may increasingly use a computer (though I don't know about whether it would be a tablet or lap top) to take notes and write in the classroom. Cost is also an issue for us. So, all that said, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about an iPad2 vs. iPad mini for her. Sorry I'm not very sophisticated about this all, but help would be most appreciated!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My youngest son is that age and loves the iPad Mini. I have restrictions set on it so that he cannot do certain things, however, he does use it for homework, when necessary, as well as play games, watch Netflix videos and read. It's not heavy, but big enough to not be a nuisance. I asked him if he like the iPad 2 i had prior or the Mini, and he quickly chose the Mini.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with t he others here that IMO last years Mini would be child perfect and YES like Sean suggested, Get a good shock case and screen protector.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Both my girls 7 and 3 have iPad 2 before the mini was even announced
Best investment I even bought
Whatever you choose some sort of case is needed but depending on the child will depend on what case you need. Mine just use folio style cases and have been fine.
If you what to save some cash buy them refurbished off of apples site they still have one year warranty just like new ones do.

I should also add I have a mini in the house also and both my girls prefer the ipad 2 vs the mini just because of screen size and watching Netflix and movies

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll