Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr. Bombay
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Apple Enviroment vs Windows Environment

Is Apple environment (having Mac OS and iPhone) better than Windows environment (Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8) ?

I am a Windows Phone 8 user having an HTC 8X and Windows 8.1. Before this I had Android (many) and iPhone 4. I had decided to buy a Windows Phone 8 to make it companion to my Windows 8. Now, after having them for about more than a year, I cannot really feel them blended. Microsoft is too slow to develop the Windows Phone 8. I know in terms of seamless experience, apps and general experience, the Apple products is better. Of course, Windows products also have their advantages. I know because I use them.

Then, one day, I was thinking to have a Mac mini to get started with full Apple experience. Then maybe after that going to buy iPhone 5c or perhaps 5S.

So, according to your experience who have a full Apple experience, is my changes will worth it? Or, do I need to wait for Microsoft releasing Windows Phone 8.1? Then, if I make the changes, will I miss the Windows experience such as Office products, the Skydrive integration, etc?

Thank you.

Default Re: Apple Enviroment vs Windows Environment

In summary, the experience is only better if you're comfortable and happy with whatever ecosystem you're using. Some people like the Apple experience & ecosystem better whereas others like the Window experience and ecosystem better. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. My advice? Stick with what you're most comfortable with and don't change because others think something else may better....
    iMore Newbie

23 Posts
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts

You may want to wait for WP 8.1 (it should be out pretty soon) before you switch ecosystems. It can be an expensive switch!!! BTW, you may want to try the Nokia phones. IMHO, they were far superior to the HTC ones for WP8. Additionally, is there something that you are missing out on when using WP8? Will you be able to get it on an iPhone? And if you do move over, what will you be sacrificing in order to do so?

The answers are fairly subjective and quite personal and only you can answer them. If you are in a MS ecosystem already (Exchange, Skydrive, Office), it may not make sense to change for the sake of change. Otherwise, assuming you are willing to put in the time and the cash, try the Apple set of products. They are great products!!!
    Just_Me_D likes this.

12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

You asked if the environment was better than Windows...and honestly, any response would be purely opinionated in that regard. To some people, OSX is a better environment (IE: me), to others, Windows is the better arena.

The only thing I can answer for you with factual reference is Apple's ecosystem in comparison with Windows...and the answer is YES, Apple's ecosystem is a more optimized experience amongst their spectrum of devices when compared to Windows and those devices. One of the strongest arguments for Apple devices is the ecosystem, the ease of use, and the near flawless integration between tablet, smart phone, notebook and desktops (etc).

So if reading that you want to deduce that Apple's environment is "better", go for it.
    iMore Elite

2,967 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,878 Global Posts

"Better" is subjective and what one person finds is best for them is not the best for someone else. What exactly are you thinking you are missing? Or what do you think you can do with Mac/iOS you can't do with Windows? There is Office for Mac so you wouldn't miss that. I'm not sure if there is a SkyDrive app in the Mac App store; I know there is for iOS because I have/use it. These are things you need to ask yourself IMO. In addition, do you have the funds to switch?

You might want to consider trying an iPhone before switching your desktop OS as well. Maybe you will find just using the iPhone over WP8 is a big enough improvement.

8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

There is a Skydrive app for the Mac.