How much storage space is recommended

I

iMore Question

I am about to buy an iPhone 5s. I currently am living with a dinosaur (the iPhone 4) and have 8gb of storage. I frequently run out of storage. I have about 20 songs so music takes up little to no space for me. but I want to know what my best bet would be for m new phone, the 16 or 32 gb. Let's keep in mind 32 is 100 more expensive. I am leaning towards the 16, mainly for price reasons and the fact I only use my phone for social media and texting. But I do have 1,000 photos and that's with deleted a couple hundred every month or so.

mphillips888

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
That's a very valid point! But I never sell the phone I used before I received whatever my current phone may be, because I have a track history of having to use the old one due to wrecking the new one!

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
kch is correct. For me, I have always been fine with a 16, and even an 8 before that. I have a handful of songs, pictures, games, etc., and I have never had an issue with space. I would recommend the higher storage option if you can swing it though.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I recommend however much storage space you will personally call for (plus some extra for the stuff you don't account for)...I personally always go with 32GB because 16GB doesn't support the pics/videos I take (plus my music and apps), but I never use close to my 32GB allotment, so 64GB would be overkill. That's how I figure what I personally need, but that may not apply to your needs at all.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore 😃

You stated you frequently run out of storage so don't make the mistake of going small like I did with my i5 apps are getting bigger and buy a good case so you don't get stuck using your i4 again. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a 16gb and it's fine for me. I have about 10gb available. But, I don't store music and not many photos. I would say get the most that you can afford. Good luck.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
For a phone I'd recommend 32 minimum. For an iPad, you might be able to get away with 16, depending on usage.

Why 32gb on a phone? I find a ton of my space gets eaten up by pictures and videos. I very rarely take pictures on the iPad, so it's less of an issue there. I also find that while I load my iPhone with apps to use while away from home, I find that the iPad only has a few apps that I use at a time. A couple of large games or a couple of movies is usually what I have stored on it. If I'm ever going to be away from WiFi for an extended period of time, I always make sure I've got enough content to keep myself busy.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
32 GB is always the way for me. 16 GB doesn't hold much, and if you have a lot of space used when theres an update you'll have to delete stuff to update. That'll limit your picture/video taking and applications.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
It depends on how you use your device. I suppose. When I first got the iPhone 3G I got the 16GB which was the maximum capacity and filled that up. When the iPhone 4 came out I got. 32GB and filled that up. Now I've got the 64GB iPhone 5S which I think will get filled up quickly.

If you don't tend to store lots of videos/music on your phone or play a lot of games then 16GB should be ok. Otherwise go for. ?32GB.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2