Wireless Router Advice

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Need some advice here. I share internet with my mother-in-law (who lives one house down in a row home) because only one company services the area for 75/month. She has internet and I have Hawking 300N wireless repeater. She use to have a Linksys WRGT 54G, but I want to get a new one. I purchased the Belkin N300 which reached my front porch and the Hawking repeater took over for the most part. Since the Belking N600 DB was only 30 more bucks, I bought that one as well to test it out. Now the 600DB has 2 more antennas for the 5GHz band, but the repeater doesn't not hookup to the 5GHz band. So the differences between the 300 and 600 are the 5GHz band and a media server. I cannot find anywhere online if the 600 has better signal than the 300 on the 2.4GHz band.

Does anyone know this? or if the 600 is worth the extra 30 bucks for my needs?

Also, since I have a Hawking repeater, would the HAWNR3 wireless router be a better suite for me? I cannot find info on this either and no local stores carry the HAWNR3 so I would have to purchase online. The repeater has worked great for the past 3 years, so I trust Hawking products.

Again, the router is placed at my mother-in-laws front window and to my front porch is about 60ft, remember it's row home, so it's out front window, then immediately right for about 60ft, and my repeater is placed right in my front window.

So.... are there differences between the Belkin 300 and 600 that justify the 30 bucks for the extra 2 antennas on the 5GHz band and media server software (which I won't use) or do you guys think the Hawking HAWNR3 with range amplifier will give better signal to make it to my hawking repeater?

I really apppreciate any help and advice!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd find a way to snake an ethernet run from the internet router/access point to a wireless access point in your home.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Justifying price from one person to another is a tricky thing...is it worth it to me? Yes, having a dual band router would be worth the extra $30 (but that really has nothing to do with network strength singularly). To keep from discussing pointless features you may not use, if you are ok with a single band router, the Hawking setup you mentioned should be just fine.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd find a way to snake an ethernet run from the internet router/access point to a wireless access point in your home.

I honestly thought about that, the problem is the middle neighbors, our house are exactly 32' end to end. I was think of running an Ethernet cable in insulated conduit through the gutters, lol.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Justifying price from one person to another is a tricky thing...is it worth it to me? Yes, having a dual band router would be worth the extra $30 (but that really has nothing to do with network strength singularly). To keep from discussing pointless features you may not use, if you are ok with a single band router, the Hawking setup you mentioned should be just fine.

I have the 4s so it won't see the "a" band, but my wife's 5c will, but the repeater doesn't recognize it either. I don't need the pointless features like the media server and such.

I wonder of the Hawking Range Amplifier gives more signal strength distance because of the amplifier, does anyone have experience or knowledge about it?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner