16 gb enough?

I

iMore Question

Hi, I was wondering if 16 gbs would be enough for my usage. I'll probably be using it to mainly play games and surf internet/watch YouTube. And watching movies when I travel. Thanks in advance.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the movies will be streamed and the games not plentiful then yes, 16gbs should be sufficient. Having said that, if you plan to download movies and play a great deal of games, especially graphically intense games then you might want to get the 32 or higher version.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I second this. In today's day and age I would at least get a 32G. Better have more than you need than not enough.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. If you going to be doing games and movies, that will take up a lot of memory. When you have little memory left on the device, it will start to lag. 32GB is what I would recommend.

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
To me, I play no games and have no music or movies in my phone. Yet every few months I run our of memory because of all the pictures and video I take.

Also my iCloud is consistently full.

I have a 16gb i5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Quality iOS games have a large download size and then game play data adds up stored movies take up room as well as the Operating System itself I filled up a 16GB i5 in 6 months so keep this in mind when you make your decision

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It is impossible to tell you whether it will be enough for your uses...it is not enough for me, but I take a lot of movies and pictures with my iPhone and tend to leave them on there for no real reason at all. I also like the flexibility to load a good portion of my iTunes library onto my iPhone in case I don't have my iPod classic handy.

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Apps and movies take up a lot of space. If you're just going to use Netflix and/or Hulu Plus to watch movies, then it's just the apps that will take up a lot of space. Get a 32 or 64 GB model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if 16 gbs would be enough for my usage. I'll probably be using it to mainly play games and surf internet/watch YouTube. And watching movies when I travel. Thanks in advance.

If you are going to watch movies get at least 32gig. Some movies may be 2-3gig more or less. If you had 5 3gig movies that's 15gig right there roughly half of 32gig iPhone and almost all of a 16gig iPhone.
When I had a 16gig 4s and travel I use a 64gig iPad for movies and media

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Personally I would never buy less than 32GB now. Even though my iPhone has ~15GB empty most of the time I like the extra space to be available. If you are going to load up videos locally those files will fill up your memory quick. Then you won't have any space left to take your own photos and videos. A 32GB device also has better resale value down the road.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I thought 16GB was enough but I remember having to delete apps and games I didm?t use often and be mindful of what I download. I recently got a 64GB phone and I have already used up 20GB, so I think from now on, 16GB is not enough for me anymore. I agree with others, at least 32GB. If money is a problem, you can get by with 16Gb a little app management skill.

Chargehammer

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I've always only been able to afford the smaller GB of the newest models. For a significant amount of time, it's enough but then it starts to fill up and I find myself having to delete apps/games off my phone. I take a lot of pics and vids and download a lot of YouTube videos to my phone which kill it for space. So depending on what you're putting on there, it might be perfect or it could be not even close to enough. You're gonna be the best judge of this.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd say go with a 32 GB, with apps increasing in size you most likely better off especially since you'll be watch movies while traveling (I highly doubt you'll be streaming movies while traveling but I could be wrong). Since you also mentioned games, 16 GB will not be enough.
I personally have always gotten 32 GB iOS devices (3rd gen iPod touch, 4S, 5th gen iPod touch) but this time I got a 64 GB 5S cause of all the apps and music I've gotten over the years (I've used about 44 GB on my 5S). Also another thing is how much and how long do you plan to stay with iOS, if you change OS a lot I would say get the 16 for now and see how much you fill it and if you like it but if you plan to stay awhile I'd say get the 32 GB instead if you can afford it.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Apple should have a 128 GB version of the iPhone. I bet people would like that and I don't think that anyone could fill all of that up.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
A 16gb device works fine for me, because I don't play games or download music. I'd recommend getting a 32gb device. Good luck. :)