HD/standard definition DVDs HD/Standard definition to Blu-ray

dmfett

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
What's the point of having HD video cameras when you burn a DVD and it is not high-definition unless you use/burn a Blu-ray dvd for home viewing.

I just realized that all it does is take up hard drive space and you don't get the extra video quality unless you burn a Blu-ray DVD.

Another question I have is do you lose anything when you take a iMovie 9 project and exported to Final Cut Pro X and then burn a DVD in Blu-ray. Does the video project have to be reworked once it's exported to Final Cut Pro X. and does it keep it the same as in the on iMovie 9 project?

Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What's the point of having HD video cameras when you burn a DVD and it is not high-definition unless you use/burn a Blu-ray dvd for home viewing.
The point is being able to save the actual video onto a secondary medium for age keeping. I'd argue that people would care more for the actual video content than whether or not it's in HD.

I just realized that all it does is take up hard drive space and you don't get the extra video quality unless you burn a Blu-ray DVD.
Okay, then burn it on a Blu-ray disc and the problem is solved.

Another question I have is do you lose anything when you take a iMovie 9 project and exported to Final Cut Pro X and then burn a DVD in Blu-ray. Does the video project have to be reworked once it's exported to Final Cut Pro X. and does it keep it the same as in the on iMovie 9 project? I don't know. I assume there could be some image degradation during the exporting process, but I can't say for sure. Just a guess.

Thanks

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Another question I have is do you lose anything when you take a iMovie 9 project and exported to Final Cut Pro X and then burn a DVD in Blu-ray. Does the video project have to be reworked once it's exported to Final Cut Pro X. and does it keep it the same as in the on iMovie 9 project?

Thanks

I guess I don't quite understand your first issue...if you want full HD specs (assuming you're referencing 720/1080p resolution support), you have to use the proper format (IE: blu-ray). Most HD video cameras are also capable of direct upload to online HD streaming services (most notably, Vimeo), so honestly, having your own blu-ray burner isn't a necessity, especially when you can have something loaded online in true HD resolution and have it mastered to a blu-ray by a 3rd party company (this is helpful if you're not mastering a lot of discs personally...negating the need for a pricy blu-ray burner).

As to your second concern...why aren't you working directly in Final Cut Pro? If you have FCP available to you, iMovie should be a kind of "toy" software. I don't understand why someone would be going from iMovie to FCP in the first place, given the exponential difference between the two (when it comes to post production abilities).

dmfett

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I guess it's important to share how we started out with our videoing.

We started out filming with VHS camera and then move up to a Digital DV camera, standard definition. When we moved up to DV camera, we use iMovie 6 and made some great films for our clients. We produced two DVDs for sale on iMovie 6, they sold very well to our people (peacock videos Peafowl DVDs ) we then moved up to iMovie 9 and translated our iMovies from iMovie 6 to iMovie 9... We use iDVD and was real happy with that process. We are very happy with iMovie and produce some of the best quality movies that one can produce. I wasn't aware of Final Cut Pro until about a year ago. Didn't have a need for it.

I went to the Canon T5i which shoots high-quality HD video. I wanted my video to be air-quality. We had a lot of calls for air quality peacock video and that's why we went to the T5i as it worked in our budget. The quality of the video from this camera and the lens is superb.

So now you should understand why. The thought came to mind, why can I produce HD video since I have a superb camera. That was the reason for my question.

I know this is not popular today but we love DVDs and the people who buy our movies love DVDs since most of them do not have the bandwidth to download movies off the Internet, in fact many don't even have Internet. It is cost prohibitive for someone like myself to sell our videos using a third-party on line. Unless you can direct me to somewhere where I can sell my 5 videos to people who do want my videos downloaded. I found the places that do this service and they charge way too much money and I would never make any money. My two books on the iTunes store sell very well and that is acceptable since Apple only takes 30% of the profits. So if you have a good source for me to sell my videos online I be very happy to see those sources.

I have taken small steps in my video small business. So moving up the Final Cut Pro X is the next step for me. And yes maybe iMovie to professional moviemakers is a toy. But to me is a very useful product and has made a very good income for my small business. I am now ready to move up to the big boys world. And that's why I'm writing. For the record, I don't own Final Cut Pro X yet but plan on purchasing it once I have all the things figured out and the budget in place.

Another problem with producing videos now if you have grown past iDVD, you need another way of offering your DVDs for your clients who want DVDs. And I've been unable to find something on the market today that works as good as iDVD and give me more bells and whistles to work with.

So now I hope you understand why someone like myself is working iMovie. But now it's time to move up and with your expertise and others out there, maybe I'll have the proper guidance to do things right and not make any mistakes and keep my budget down.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't trying to knock iMovie...honestly, it's a great piece of software and has come a long way (in terms of features) over the years. I guess we're on the same page though in that Final Cut Pro is the logical move for you (if you want to master projects properly in HD).

I can tell that you're kind of at a basic level when it comes to using more industry related softwares (and are leaning more towards ease of use than feature rich)...this is going to be your most cumbersome speed bump in moving into the true HD age with your products.

dmfett

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I agree, we're both on the same page. I didn't take it as you're knocking iMovie. But a lot of people who are into this video making world seem to forget simple beginnings.

As an educator for 39 years. I always like to take an ability and build upon it and then move up step-by-step rather than start from the top…

Question for you, taking my iMovies and moving them into Final Cut Pro X is that going to be an easy process and is there a lot of work once they are translated into Final Cut Pro X.

And is there another software program out there that I can use that as good as iDVD gives me more flexibility. Also I don't want to spend a lot of money. And spending all that money for another DVD producing program that came with the Final Cut Pro suite. I'm not sure the name of that but that's not important so if you know anything else that's out there let me know if not maybe someone else could share.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree, we're both on the same page. I didn't take it as you're knocking iMovie. But a lot of people who are into this video making world seem to forget simple beginnings.

As an educator for 39 years. I always like to take an ability and build upon it and then move up step-by-step rather than start from the top…

Question for you, taking my iMovies and moving them into Final Cut Pro X is that going to be an easy process and is there a lot of work once they are translated into Final Cut Pro X.

And is there another software program out there that I can use that as good as iDVD gives me more flexibility. Also I don't want to spend a lot of money. And spending all that money for another DVD producing program that came with the Final Cut Pro suite. I'm not sure the name of that but that's not important so if you know anything else that's out there let me know if not maybe someone else could share.

I answered it in your other thread, but check out the Adobe creative suite (it includes the Premiere software for dvd authoring...it's what my wife uses for dvd menu creating).

I'll be honest with you, the only reason I know about this stuff is because my wife does this for a career, and I've learned it (some what) by association. There shouldn't be any real extra work moving your projects from iMovie to FCP unless you want to do more to the projects themselves...it'll kind of just be like introducing it into the software as a raw video file like you would from a camera if I understand it correctly.

dmfett

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
So if I understand you correctly, your wife still uses Final Cut Pro X and she uses the premier software for DVD authoring after finishing her project in FCP? Will that also work for iMovie 9 ?

If that's the case I'll look into that authoring software. Then my next problem is is to find a way to distribute my DVDs electronically through the Internet in HD and still make a profit and not give it all away to people who host it. And clues on a place that I can use?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner