Switching from AT&T to TMobile in Philadelphia area

I

iMore Question

Is all the media hype to be believed? Is the LTE coverage/service that TMO states on its website accurate? The monthly savings is enticing, but not if the service sucks. Has anyone experience service issues in the western suburban area to Philadelphia (specifically Bala Cynwyd)?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not from that area either but no matter where I am I get great service. If I'm not in LTE area, my 4G (HSPA+) is just as good. I have LTE in Detroit and Atlanta but I don't use LTE at all because it's drains battery but if I did, no problems. Last time I was in Philadelphia T-Mobile was good, that was during the beginning of our 3G days.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Philly very close to Bala Cynwyd. I'm on Sprint but a I have a few friends on T-Mobile with iPhone 5's. I'll ask to see what they say.

#Naked Tuesday

idrazz856

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I had tmo just to try them out for the trial period. I had good reception in the Philadelphia/nj/del area but I had horrible service inside my house. Calls would drop off soon as I walked in the door! Test drive tmo for the 14 day trial just to see if it works for you.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I had tmo just to try them out for the trial period. I had good reception in the Philadelphia/nj/del area but I had horrible service inside my house. Calls would drop off soon as I walked in the door! Test drive tmo for the 14 day trial just to see if it works for you.

This exact thing happen to me with then too not in same area but I couldn't justify not getting calls to save a buck

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile in Philly and I must say they are certainly improving. They still are not as good as ATT (had in the past) and Verizon (I also have a Verizon account), BUT they are getting there. In or around big cities on T-Mobile you are fine, often you will get 4G LTE or if not at least H+, the problem comes in when you get outside of the cities you are lucky to get EDGE and often you get nothing. Verizon I get LTE almost everywhere and where I don't I at least get something. I'll look at the T-Mobile phone at it will be no signal and then look at the Verizon phone and sure enough 1 or 2 bars and enough of a signal for a call!

BUT all throughout Philly and surroundings I am fine with both phones. I'm talking about out camping in the poconos, or upstate New York, or back woods Virginia or something.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I live in the Philly Burbs and have service with both AT&T (postpaid) and T-Mobile (prepaid). While I like T-Mobile for the most part, there are still many spotty areas around here where I drop a signal altogether and have to wait till I get closer to a main road before it picks up again. Also, their LTE coverage is hit or miss. When I first activated my T-Mobile data plan on my iPad Air I had very good LTE speeds in my house, however, since then the signal is now 4G only with speeds at less than 9 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. I would only recommend going with T-Mobile if you have coverage in the area that you will be in the most of the time and don't plan on traveling out of that area very much. T-Mobiles coverage in and around Philly has improved very much over the past few years, but they still have a long way to go when it comes to matching the coverage that AT&T and Verizon have to offer currently.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh