Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default iPhone 5 Restore

Hi Expert,

I'm facing a problem since last two days when I woke up with my iphone in recovery mode.

First thing i tried, is restoring by connecting iphone with my windows 7 pc and it ended with error "An unknown error occurred (3004).".

I read solution provided by apple but they didn't work, so I got hold of apple mac and tried to restore on it, it went few steps ahead like restore iphone firmware but end with error "An unknown error occurred (1669).

I have tried all the solutions provided by the information on apple website but it didn't work.

Can anyone please suggest a solution. Thank you.
    iMore Genius

3,420 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,305 Global Posts

Default Re: iPhone 5 Restore

Try this:

Error 1669 – Solution 1

Let’s directly begin with the solution. This solution has been reported to work on many devices which have been showing the error 1669. This method uses the DFU restore – which will allow you to restore your iOS device without any errors. Simply follow the steps below to fix error 1669.

STEP 1: Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to computer and start iTunes.

STEP 2: Put device in DFU mode. To do that follow the note:

Note: DFU mood process.

1. Hold Power + Home button for 10 seconds.

2. Release Power button but hold Home button for another 5 seconds.

STEP 3: A message will pop up saying your device is in recovery mode and you need to restore it.

Note: On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch it will display an image saying to connect to iTunes.

STEP 4: Click on the restore button in iTunes (this will delete everything on your iOS device so make sure you have a backup).

STEP 5: This step is going to take quite a while, so just sit back and relax.

Note: If you already have an iOS 7/7.0.2 IPSW file in your computer then Command + Alt (Mac), Control + Shift (Windows) on the “Restore Button”. It will open a box, simply locate your IPSW file and click OK.

STEP 6: The process should be completed and your device will turn on. Click on the back up you might have saved on the computer or on iCloud. It will restore to your previous setting and that too on iOS 7.

The above method should fix the error 1669 for your iOS device.