Questions about Pages

BBGary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello friendly iMore community!
I have couple of questions regarding Pages app. I am a student and need to write in APA style and documents with math(calculus) formulas.
1. In MSWORD there are References and in Pages Citations. How do i use Citations feature in Pages? In MS world i would go the Manage References and would insert all the references. Then after that I would just insert citations where needed and bibliography at the end. What is a procedure in Pages?
2. How do i insert formulas into the document as text? Just typing not always helps. Is there a way to use pages or is there any other software that will allow me to edit an equation and to copy it to Pages as text?

Thanks for your help in advance. I am previous BB user ( as you see from my account name), but since moved to Apple for almost all my computing needs (except tablets - yet to come) and discovered this community, I am in iHaven...:)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Here's a Pages APA document template... iWorkCommunity | APA Template - CJ Yetman's v1.3

Equations: On your Mac, Open the Apps folder... and in the Utilities sub-folder - there's an app 'Grapher' - which contains a mathematical expressions editor... you can construct equations there and copy/paste into a document in Pages... or find a 3rd party app for equations that integrates with Pages... MathType is one that is said to work with Pages,

BBGary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Here's a Pages APA document template... iWorkCommunity | APA Template - CJ Yetman's v1.3

Equations: On your Mac, Open the Apps folder... and in the Utilities sub-folder - there's an app 'Grapher' - which contains a mathematical expressions editor... you can construct equations there and copy/paste into a document in Pages... or find a 3rd party app for equations that integrates with Pages... MathType is one that is said to work with Pages,
Thanks a lot guys. What i search in any computing platform and have found in Apple, is that I don't need to invest a lot of money in apps and the support (of iMore of course) is the best and the quickest.

BBGary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot
The problem with this tutorial is that the options that i need are greyed out. I am using Pages version that i got after upgrading to Mavericks. Does anyone know what's the catch here? Is it kind of "starter edition" software?
I open the new Document, then Edit->and trying to use Manage Citations and this option is greyed out for me. I am using version 5.0.1 that was updated yesterday.

Thanks

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The problem with this tutorial is that the options that i need are greyed out. I am using Pages version that i got after upgrading to Mavericks. Does anyone know what's the catch here? Is it kind of "starter edition" software?

The new Pages is a ground-up re-write from the previous version(s) and does not have all the "bells and whistles" of the previous version... some of those features are said to be coming back in coming updates of the Pages app...

BBGary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The new Pages is a ground-up re-write from the previous version(s) and does not have all the "bells and whistles" of the previous version... some of those features are said to be coming back in coming updates of the Pages app...

Nice... That means "back to the old drawing board.." , I mean back to the MSWORD and i don't like it

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you upgraded to the new versions of iWork, the old ones should still be in your Applications folder.
One could also get the previous version of the iWork apps on DVD from Amazon, or other on-line source if their Mac purchase came after the new apps hit the street...