Should I get the 16gb 5s or 32gb 5c?

I

iMore Question

Hi guys. I would love to take advantage of the ATT promo today and upgrade my iphone 4. I was originally thinking I wanted a 32gb iphone 4s, but that isn't eligible for the sale price. It will need to be a 16gb 5s, or a 32gb 5c. Any recommendations over which would be the better buy (or criteria to help me decide?)

I take lots of photos and a little bit of video, and I do keep my music stored in my phone. Other than that, I don't use a whole lot of apps (average amount, I'd say) or store movies or anything.

Thanks for any suggestions!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum :) ... If you store your music on your device and it is within your budget I would suggest the 32GB 5c, the extra space will come in handy for your tune storage.

mistyr75

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
OP, here. Thanks for the advice. The 5c 32gb is the same price as the 5s 16gb (on sale for $100 with contract). I read that the camera is much better on the 5s, and the processor is faster/better. So, in your opinion, the higher gb is more important those factors, right? (I'm just not up on all of this. I had a flip phone until 2 years ago, lol.)

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
For your use scenario I would go for the extra storage. The iPhone 5c has incredibly similar specs to the iPhone 5 which takes fantastic photos. I gave my 5 to my wife and have played with both devices side by side and while better I don't feel as if the 5s offer enough to warrant the upgrade, especially if you are coming from a flip phone. I feel confident recommending the 5c to you, now it's up to you to pick a color that you would like to carry, I am sure that you will love the phone.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for joining the forum by the way, lot's of amazing people in this community. If you ever need help there are a plethora of experts.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Buying a new phone is a big undertaking this day and age you stated your coming from a flip phone so either choice you make will be ok the 5c and 5s are both powerful devices and up to date it's just a decision you have to make

Also welcome to imore we are happy you joined you will find a wealth of information to get you started enjoying your new iPhone

Sent from my iPhone 5

toemasuxsempai

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I would love to take advantage of the ATT promo today and upgrade my iphone 4. I was originally thinking I wanted a 32gb iphone 4s, but that isn't eligible for the sale price. It will need to be a 16gb 5s, or a 32gb 5c. Any recommendations over which would be the better buy (or criteria to help me decide?)

I take lots of photos and a little bit of video, and I do keep my music stored in my phone. Other than that, I don't use a whole lot of apps (average amount, I'd say) or store movies or anything.

Thanks for any suggestions!

IMO the 5S will benefit you in the long run. If you run out of storage fast you can always turn to cloud storage services such as Dropbox, and etc. Think of it this way., developers are gonna start focusing more on 64 bit as the years progress. And the ip5 technology will be obsolete. Thus your saving yourself from needing to complain when your 5c will start to feel laggy. Most will say even if you stay in a older generation ios the app version will be comparable, however imagine all the new apps that will come. Do you really need to install hundreds of songs when you'll most likely only listen to a few dozen?

I say latest generation phone will most likely have a higher resale value than the older technology even if it came out recently. I bet you'll get at least double back compared to the 5C. Either way you'll enjoy both phones, whichever you pick. I also bet Black Friday will have even better deals. Sales aren't going anywhere until after Christmas.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! If storage is your main concern, go ahead and get the 5c. Considering you're coming from a 4. I would get the 5s because it's newer and you won't be so far behind 2 years from now.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Look in iTunes and do an assessment of what you have the most be it music or photos and video and or all. Add up what you have the most of in MBs or GBs and that will give you an answer as to what size you need I knew with the added features of the OS and what i use my phone for and while i have many photos but no music ( I use my iPod for that) I would have more apps and photos so i went from a 16GB 4S to a 32 GB 5S.

You are going have to make up your own mind based on things like I mentioned since we can't do that for you but merely suggest on how to get there like I just did and others here also. Good luck.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I did what Jaguar suggested when purchasing an iPhone. I came from an iPod and I went into iTunes and look at how much data I had.

I was in the same boat. I wanted a 32GB but the 5s would run me 299 for that.

I was settled on the 32GB 5c but then I saw the 16GB for 45 bucks and I could not pass that deal up.

I'm so glad I went with this! After loading 800 songs, 40 apps, documents and lots of iTunes U as well as 4 podcasts, I have 1GB left to play with.

Just add up your content and get want you need. It's great to save money by getting what you need and not more.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
And to add the 5c is a fantastic device. The build quality is excellent and it feels solid. Love the color. Only thing it lacks is the fingerprint capture, slow motion and I think it uses a slightly smaller processor.

But this phone is FAST! No regrets.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
5S FOR SURE! When buying technology you're going to use for a while, always go with the latest. If you survived with a flip phone for so long then 16GB storage should be no problem!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods