Which is the best tablet for my teenage autistic son?

I

iMore Question

I have a 13 year old autistic son who is glued to his desktop computer when at home. He is very proficient at using it. I recently bought him a nice used MAC computer but after a month he asked for his desktop back. We are now looking for a tablet for him and can't decide which to get. I see him primarily using it to watch Youtube videos, Netflix, watching movies that we will download and using some game apps. Price and durability are concerns. He has an Itouch which he listens to his music on and brings to school each day. We would like to get something with storage that we can download many movies. I am hoping to spend no more than $550 for the tablet and case. I am skeptical about buying something used or refurbished. Have been thinking of an IPAD 2, Kindle HDX and Surface tablet. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Going with an iPad might allow most of the iPod Touch apps to be installed on the iPad. Music should be similar. That way he can have a portable but larger iOS system for home or travel. iOS has good Parental Controls, if that's a consideration.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
To answer the used / refurb concerns, if you purchase a refurb through Apple you have very little to worry about. They're always reliable and you know what you're getting. If you find one cheap on Apple, there's no real reason to not buy it.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Ordinarily I am not a fan of the Galaxy Tab but it might fit the bill if you are looking for something with a lot of local storage. It can take a microSD card so you can store a lot of movies on it.

I think he'd be happiest with an iPad since he already has iOS stuff but buying an iPad with a lot of local storage can get expensive. If you don't mind downloading a lot, you can always rotate what you do have stored locally.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Referb ipad 2 on Apple hands down 64gb is 499 both my kids have them age 7 and 3 both going strong just get a decent case and they come with one year warranty like any new device does

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
throw an otterbox on anything and durability is no longer a concern.

A kindle hdx is a really good option in my opinion because it has a fantastic display and you can sign up for a prime account instead of netflix and you can download movies right to the device for no additional cost without having to worry about streaming, not to mention how competitive pricing is for them.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ordinarily I am not a fan of the Galaxy Tab but it might fit the bill if you are looking for something with a lot of local storage. It can take a microSD card so you can store a lot of movies on it.

I think he'd be happiest with an iPad since he already has iOS stuff but buying an iPad with a lot of local storage can get expensive. If you don't mind downloading a lot, you can always rotate what you do have stored locally.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Going non-Apple would require purchasing a whole new set of apps... Since he already has an iPod Touch, most of those apps would work on an iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods