Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question
    iMore Question's Avatar
    Guest

    Default Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Hello,

    I want to have two totally separate calendars on my iPad. I don't want them to sync or anything.

    But every app I look at has to sync to the existing app?

    I'm not tech savvy-can anyone help?
    Godsdragon likes this.
  2. #2  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Yes you can. I use another pretty well known calendar along with my Native calendar and it works just fine.
    Godsdragon and Tiny-T like this.
  3. #3  
    Tiny-T's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Thanks, any chance you can tell me what the other app is?
    Godsdragon likes this.
  4. #4  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    I use Fantastical and you are most welcome.
    Godsdragon likes this.
  5. #5  
    Tiny-T's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Ok, I'm not clever as I searched for Fantastical in the App store and it said no results?
    Godsdragon likes this.
  6. #6  
    ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,996 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-T View Post
    Ok, I'm not clever as I searched for Fantastical in the App store and it said no results?
    Ok, quick question to make sure we understand what you'd like to do here. I'm understanding it as, you want 2 separate calendar apps so that you can use each one for separate things. Ie. calendar 1 for home items only and Fantastical for work items only. Is this correct?

    If that's what your looking to do, then no. It can't be done because every new calendar app you download will want to access the native calendar app that comes preinstalled.

    If that's not what your looking to do with 2 separate cal apps, then I apologize for mis-understanding.
  7. #7  
    Tiny-T's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Thankyou, yes that's what my whole post was about.

    I want tow totally separate apps that do not sync in any way.
  8. #8  
    ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,996 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-T View Post
    Thankyou, yes that's what my whole post was about.

    I want tow totally separate apps that do not sync in any way.
    Ok...unfortunately it's not possible.
    Godsdragon likes this.
  9. #9  
    warcraftWidow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Just out of curiosity, why don't you want them to sync? If we know why, maybe we can help think if an alternative solution.
  10. #10  
    Tiny-T's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why don't you want them to sync? If we know why, maybe we can help think if an alternative solution.
    Hi Karen, just because I want one calendar for certain things and one for the other, just as ThePinkChameleon described above.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    You can use the native app and add multiple calendars ie
    Gmail and iCloud each will sync to each own server and then in the calendar app you can select what calendar to view or view both at once etc.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
  12. #12  
    warcraftWidow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-T View Post
    Hi Karen, just because I want one calendar for certain things and one for the other, just as ThePinkChameleon described above.
    Ok. Just wondering if it was more specific than that. Many people maintain several calendars within the same app. I respect that you want to do it differently, but why would such an approach not work for you? Privacy? Just getting confused on which events are on which calendar if they are in the same app? Some other reason? Just hoping we can help if we know the why's behind what you want to do.
  13. #13  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,626 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Well as stated, you can create multiple calendars within the stock app and you can switch between them to see each specific calendars events. I had never tried to not sync my calendars into any of my third party calendar apps so I wouldn't have been much help at the start, but hopefully creating multiple calendars can be just as useful as separate apps for you.


    Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity To You
  14. #14  
    richu75's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    You can just use multiple iCloud calendars and deselect one in in each app.

    For instance, my fantastical setup:

    Name:  fantastical.jpg
Views: 5487
Size:  47.6 KB

    If I deselect all but 'Home' the others are still available in the default calendar.app.
    So if I deselect 'Home' in de calendar.app Fantastical is the default 'Home' calendar.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
  15. #15  
    Tiny-T's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by richu75 View Post
    You can just use multiple iCloud calendars and deselect one in in each app.

    For instance, my fantastical setup:

    Name:  fantastical.jpg
Views: 5487
Size:  47.6 KB

    Hi, thankyou but I already use this aspect. I have a couple of businesses and for example the one I use my existing calendar for has a number of different elements that I have made separate 'calendars' for.

    I have used all the colours and so wanted another app to use for another business totally separately, to avoid having to de-select 5 or 6 calendars and select 2 others each time I wanted to view the second business' items.

    If I deselect all but 'Home' the others are still available in the default calendar.app.
    So if I deselect 'Home' in de calendar.app Fantastical is the default 'Home' calendar.
  16. #16  
    Tiny-T's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    You can use the native app and add multiple calendars ie
    Gmail and iCloud each will sync to each own server and then in the calendar app you can select what calendar to view or view both at once etc.
    This would mean less selecting/de-selecting, however I would then need to do everything in gmail yes?
  17. #17  
    warcraftWidow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-T View Post
    This would mean less selecting/de-selecting, however I would then need to do everything in gmail yes?
    No. You wouldn't need to use gmail just have a google account. The native calendar app will just sync with google calendars.
  18. #18  
    warcraftWidow's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Ok. So it sounds like the main reason you are looking for separate calendar apps is that you have enough calendars that you are out of unique colors.
    I think the best solution has already been suggested. Just use a different app and in it toggle the calendars you want to view and in the main calendar app also toggle the ones you want to see. They will all still sync to the main calendar app but you will only see the ones you want to.
  19. #19  
    richu75's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-T View Post
    Hi, thankyou but I already use this aspect. I have a couple of businesses and for example the one I use my existing calendar for has a number of different elements that I have made separate 'calendars' for.

    I have used all the colours and so wanted another app to use for another business totally separately, to avoid having to de-select 5 or 6 calendars and select 2 others each time I wanted to view the second business' items.
    I dont think you understand me (or maybe it's the other way around ?).

    If I deselect all but Home in fantastical, it will become my defacto 'Home calendar'. All home entries have to be made in fantastical.
    In de native calendar.app you can make another selection, say everything but Home. That would make the native app my 'Work and events calendar'.

    The selection you decide on is not a universal setting for all calendar based apps. You can make as many selections as you have different calendar apps.
  20. #20  
    Tiny-T's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by richu75 View Post
    I dont think you understand me (or maybe it's the other way around ?).

    If I deselect all but Home in fantastical, it will become my defacto 'Home calendar'. All home entries have to be made in fantastical.
    In de native calendar.app you can make another selection, say everything but Home. That would make the native app my 'Work and events calendar'.

    The selection you decide on is not a universal setting for all calendar based apps. You can make as many selections as you have different calendar apps.
    Ah ok, I think I thought you were just referring to the native app. I didn't realise you could deselect items from the native calendar in the second app.

    Is Fantastical the one everyone recommends? Further to that I cannot find it in the app store.
  21. #21  
    ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,996 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Fantastical is a really nice calendar app I've used on & off depending on my mood. For the most part I use the native calendar, but when I feel like using a 3rd party cal, Fantastical is my #1 choice. Take a look at it and see if you like the appearance of it.

    Here's the link to it:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fant...mUvbUpU2108123



    🎀Sent from my pink-a-licious 4S🎀
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
  22. #22  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkChameleon View Post
    Ok, quick question to make sure we understand what you'd like to do here. I'm understanding it as, you want 2 separate calendar apps so that you can use each one for separate things. Ie. calendar 1 for home items only and Fantastical for work items only. Is this correct?

    If that's what your looking to do, then no. It can't be done because every new calendar app you download will want to access the native calendar app that comes preinstalled.

    If that's not what your looking to do with 2 separate cal apps, then I apologize for mis-understanding.
    When I first installed Fantastical it wanted to access my Native calendar app which I denied permission and can use them independantly and have been for some time. If I have misunderstood your answer I am sorry...LOL
    Especially sine I use Fantastical for everything, neither one of them pick up what I add to the other.
  23. #23  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-T View Post
    Ok, I'm not clever as I searched for Fantastical in the App store and it said no results?
    Hmmm, Don't know why as it comes right up as a productivity app.
  24. #24  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-T View Post
    Thankyou, yes that's what my whole post was about.

    I want tow totally separate apps that do not sync in any way.
    To clarify a point... They all sync YES and pink is right that they want to access the Native app but you don't have to allow it as I said I denied it and I have no trouble using these as 2 seperate apps.
  25. #25  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkChameleon View Post
    Ok...unfortunately it's not possible.
    Sorry it works for me so nothing personal but it is possible.
+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 12:11 PM
  2. Apps won't download.
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 09:55 AM
  3. After restringing my iPhone 4, I can't enter my password
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 09:53 AM
  4. iTunes can't read contents of iPhone
    By tlo07 in forum iTunes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2013, 11:26 PM

Posting Permissions