2 Wk old uninsured iPhone has water damage. What can I do?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow. I am really conflicted here. The forums have a strict "no piracy" policy, but even the "mods" and "ambassadors" are conspiring with a "guest" poster to commit insurance fraud. I feel bad for him/her that their new phone took a bath, but there was no insurance in place at the time of the dunk into the drink, yet 3 people with the "ambassador" title, one "moderator" and one "mod team leader" are all trying to help this guy beat the system.

Perhaps this is not the correct Apple centric forum for me, after all. What am I missing here?

Are you for real? first off I'm giving advice based on what I would do myself. There is a difference between pirating which is stealing software that wasn't paid for and paying $2-300 for an iPhone then paying another $200 or more because there was an accident after only 2 weeks. If Apple is willing to give people free exchanges without Applecare in some cases, I've seen it happen, then obviously they care more about a happy customer that will continue to buy more devices, services, etc. I'm sorry I feel for the person after buying such an expensive the device that I didn't tell them to suck it up and pay again to buy a completely new one. I don't however have any sympathy for people who pirate apps or software simply because they don't want to pay. Just for the record I'm not trying to help anyone beat the system I'm trying to give the person a solution that benefits them and benefits Apple. Nuff said on my part have a great day.

Terry1960

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I understand...;)...but as you can see, I was the first to respond and made it perfectly clear that ethically, there was nothing he or she could do except get it replaced out of pocket. To the best of my knowledge, the other options given were in accordance with the rules stated by AppleCare and was in regard to the question the OP asked. Besides, He or she has to make the decision on which option to choose.

fair enough

Terry1960

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat dropped my 5s 8 days after owning it and screen cracked I went to apple and they wouldn't replace it and no screens are available yet to I had to pay $269 plus tax for a new phone replacement

which is exactly the situation that the original guy has found himself in. it’s the only ethical thing to do.

Terry1960

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Go back a read my post again. I was simply correcting a few posts above without Quoting them by mentioning that one can also make a phone call and have AC run a diagnostic test in order to have the insurance added over the phone VS going into the store... Obviously if the OP has a water damaged phone it wouldn't pass the diagnostic test, so how was my post helping the OP commit insurance fraud?

You are encouraging the original guy to try to beat the system by getting insurance on a damaged device.

Last edited:

Terry1960

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Are you for real? first off I'm giving advice based on what I would do myself. There is a difference between pirating which is stealing software that wasn't paid for and paying $2-300 for an iPhone then paying another $200 or more because there was an accident after only 2 weeks. If Apple is willing to give people free exchanges without Applecare in some cases, I've seen it happen, then obviously they care more about a happy customer that will continue to buy more devices, services, etc. I'm sorry I feel for the person after buying such an expensive the device that I didn't tell them to suck it up and pay again to buy a completely new one. I don't however have any sympathy for people who pirate apps or software simply because they don't want to pay. Just for the record I'm not trying to help anyone beat the system I'm trying to give the person a solution that benefits them and benefits Apple. Nuff said on my part have a great day.

Yes, I am for real. If this guy goes into an Apple store, tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and the Apple Genius replaces his phone, great. But to try to sneak in the back door and get a new phone without paying for it when the original one was damaged by the owner's own actions, how is that different from stealing a new phone?

What makes your scenario right? The fact that the phone costs $2-300? The fact that the phone is less than 2 weeks old? The fact that the customer ruined his phone and is now unhappy?

I honestly don’t understand how that position can be justified, morally.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just for the record I'm not trying to help anyone beat the system I'm trying to give the person a solution that benefits them and benefits Apple. Nuff said on my part have a great day.
The solution you're suggesting is adding AppleCare+ after a device has suffered damage is it not? Yeah, doing that would benefit the OP greatly... still does not make it right in my book...

Nuff said on my part have a great day.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I am for real. If this guy goes into an Apple store, tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and the Apple Genius replaces his phone, great. But to try to sneak in the back door and get a new phone without paying for it when the original one was damaged by the owner's own actions, how is that different from stealing a new phone?

What makes your scenario right? The fact that the phone costs $2-300? The fact that the phone is less than 2 weeks old? The fact that the customer ruined his phone and is now unhappy?

I honestly don?t understand how that position can be justified, morally.

Yes you've got me you are morally more upstanding.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay since I was called out. Let me clear somethings up....

First my post has nothing to do with what you are trying to make it out to be...

My post was nothing more then Apple care discussion vs advising the OP what to do.

Simple fact I stated was Apple will be able to verify that the phone was just delivered to me. Which they did back in the day. They then added apple care.

My main post was addressing why you should have apple care from the beginning. Not how to add it after.

It's not that this user can do this. Come on be serious..... No way would apple allow it.

In my task of adding apple care was simple because it was not activated and they confirmed it was just delivered with in 5 min of calling them.

Apple could have said no. But they didn't. Because it was brand new.

Hopefully that clears things up...... Sorry for the confusion.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2