Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaguarr40
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default iMessage tones

Hey all,
    I bought a 5s and I'm a new convert from Android to iOS7. I've been enjoying it so far and getting around fine. However, one thing is bugging me. When sending messages in iMessage it has a tone that sounds when I send a message. It's a bit annoying to other people in the room when texting back and forth with someone. Is there any way to disable this while leaving incoming alerts? I have not been able to find any way to do this.

Global Posts
    23,215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iMessage tones

Quote Originally Posted by Heckface View Post
    Hey all,
    I bought a 5s and I'm a new convert from Android to iOS7. I've been enjoying it so far and getting around fine. However, one thing is bugging me. When sending messages in iMessage it has a tone that sounds when I send a message. It's a bit annoying to other people in the room when texting back and forth with someone. Is there any way to disable this while leaving incoming alerts? I have not been able to find any way to do this.
    Wait, huh? A "tone" when "sending" an "iMessage"? I don't get such a tone when "sending" an iMessage, but I suppose the easiest thing to do is put the phone on mute using the switch in the upper left side of the iPhone. That way, the device will vibrate when you receive an iMessage and shouldn't make any noise when sending one.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts

In the sounds area of settings there is an option for sent mail, maybe try setting that to see if it carry's over to imessage. The other way I know of would be if your are in an active back and forth texting volley just flip the vibrate rocker to vibrate until you are done.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,903 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

There are two tones one when you get an iMessage but iMessage is not open and one when iMessage is open and you are texting back and forth. The one that goes off when iMessage is not open is under sounds in the Settings. It's the Text Message tone so set that to none. The one that goes off when iMessage is open is a system sound and unless you're Jailbroken you can't do anything with it. So the only solution in that case would be to set the text message tone to none and have it vibrate and then close the iMessage app after you send each message. It's a pain but that is the only way to get around it.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,297 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    There are two tones one when you get an iMessage but iMessage is not open and one when iMessage is open and you are texting back and forth. The one that goes off when iMessage is not open is under sounds in the Settings. It's the Text Message tone so set that to none. The one that goes off when iMessage is open is a system sound and unless you're Jailbroken you can't do anything with it. So the only solution in that case would be to set the text message tone to none and have it vibrate and then close the iMessage app after you send each message. It's a pain but that is the only way to get around it.
    I have to agree here, Again like Ricky mentioned the key is it the message being worked in open or closed to make the difference in any sound.

@'D I believe he is talking about that very faint but noticible slight swoosh like sound
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Ipheuria likes this.