HomeKit control: Siri versus Control Center

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Occasionally I'll issue a command to Siri like "Siri, set the Relax scene" and Siri will respond with some version of "I couldn't do that". Suffice it to say, the Relax scene does not get set.

I will then pick up my phone, unlock it, swipe up into Control Center, go to the Home tab and tap on the button for the Relax scene and *bingo* the Relax scene is set.

Why is it that Siri can't set a named scene (and she DOES recognize the name correctly) but at the same time Control Center can set that scene? Do Siri and Control Center use different "channels", for lack of a better term, to execute HomeKit commands? Why is Siri less reliable than Control Center or the Home app for doing the same thing?

additional information:
The command "Hey Siri, set the Relax scene" works most of the time. It's just that it occasionally doesn't work. Whether or not my phone is locked or unlocked has no bearing, as the Siri command works either way.

Last edited:

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I use Siri all the time via Apple TV and when my phones across the other side of the room on charge (can't wait for wireless charging) but I've found you need to be really specific with it.

For example the ceiling (roof) lights in all my rooms are called "Main Light" and the master bedroom is simple called "Bedroom"

If I tell Siri to "turn off the light in MY bedroom" it won't know what I mean.
However, saying "Turn off the MAIN light in the bedroom" works.

In terms of scenes I have very few that need manually activating but on the occasion I do being specific works well

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I use Siri to enable scenes all the time, however I am doing so from my Watch. I wonder if it needs to be authenticated so a random person can't grab your phone and turn on and off lights.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner