Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 431
Like Tree140Likes
  1. #401  

    Default Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tech_eater View Post
    $90,000? I didn't think they were that high. Last I checked here in the states a Ford King ranch with all the options runs at about $60-70,000. My dad is in the market for a new diesel one ton atm, but I haven't asked him what kind of prices he coming up with.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Ha! My Dodge Ram 3500 was 88,000 here in Canada. My wife's ram 1500 was 56,000


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. #402  
    Smply_Rcklss's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Apple never marketed the 5C as a cheap iPhone. The tech media tried to do that. It was $100 less than the 5S and only came in 16 and 32GB versions while the 5S has a 64GB version available.
    That's what I was saying. I kinda figured it wasn't a budget friendly iPhone. Why was it $100 less than the 5s ? Storage capacity options & the plastic frame instead of the aluminum ?
  3. #403  
    the_tech_eater's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,189 Global Posts

    Default Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by H A W K View Post
    Ha! My Dodge Ram 3500 was 88,000 here in Canada


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ouch! His current truck is a 01 Dodge Ram 2500 cumins 24 valve diesel high output. He bought it back in 02, and I believe he paid like $30,000 for it! Lol prices sure have gone up!
    And I thought I was hurting when I spent $7k on my Jetta LOL

    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
  4. #404  
    the_tech_eater's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,189 Global Posts

    Default Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smply_Rcklss View Post
    That's what I was saying. I kinda figured it wasn't a budget friendly iPhone. Why was it $100 less than the 5s ?
    Because it was an iPhone 5 in a new shell, and the iPhone 5 would have been $100 less than the 5S.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
  5. #405  
    Smply_Rcklss's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tech_eater View Post
    Because it was an iPhone 5 in a new shell, and the iPhone 5 would have been $100 less than the 5S.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    I see, that's Idk, I'd rather just buy the 5 instead then. It seems kinda pointless that the 5c was introduced to the public.
    A895 likes this.
  6. #406  

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tech_eater View Post
    Ouch! His current truck is a 01 Dodge Ram 2500 cumins 24 valve diesel high output. He bought it back in 02, and I believe he paid like $30,000 for it! Lol prices sure have gone up!
    And I thought I was hurting when I spent $7k on my Jetta LOL

    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. #407  
    the_tech_eater's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,189 Global Posts

    Default Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smply_Rcklss View Post
    I see, that's Idk, I'd rather just buy the 5 instead then. It seems kinda pointless that the 5c was introduced to the public.
    I think it was a good idea. Instead of just offering the same phone from the year before for a lower price, they offered it in a new package, with some minor tweaks, so the same lower price.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
  8. #408  
    BreakingKayfabe's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,554 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,935 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smply_Rcklss View Post
    I see, that's Idk, I'd rather just buy the 5 instead then. It seems kinda pointless that the 5c was introduced to the public.
    It was Apple's way of trying to cut costs by adding the plastic shell.

    The cost cutting that the OP is suggesting Apple should make again for no reason.
  9. #409  
    Les74's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,007 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tech_eater View Post
    Because it was an iPhone 5 in a new shell, and the iPhone 5 would have been $100 less than the 5S.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    iPhone 5 in a new shell? I was always under the understanding that the 5c was the 5s without the fingerprint scanner.
  10. #410  
    BreakingKayfabe's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,554 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,935 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Les74 View Post
    iPhone 5 in a new shell? I was always under the understanding that the 5c was the 5s without the fingerprint scanner.
    No. It used the processor and camera of the 5 but the LTE radio was better than the 5
  11. #411  
    the_tech_eater's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,189 Global Posts

    Default Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Les74 View Post
    iPhone 5 in a new shell? I was always under the understanding that the 5c was the 5s without the fingerprint scanner.
    Nope. It has the A6, same logic board, same rear camera and pretty much all the some components except it has an improved front facing camera, supports more LTE bands, and I believe it might have a slightly larger battery.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
  12. #412  
    the_tech_eater's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,189 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by H A W K View Post
    Slightly better prices in the states on eBay(new):




    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
  13. #413  

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Why are you comparing two different vehicles? A diesel truck and car may have 4 wheels but are two different classes.

    And I specifically said a luxury car is luxury because it is more expensive than your average normal car.
    An iPhone and any other phone may have a power button and a touch screen, but they are in two different classes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. #414  

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tech_eater View Post
    Slightly better prices in the states on eBay(new):

    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...09e0b20125.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Wow nice.... Mind you most of the population doesn't make over a hundred grand a year there either. Different area, different economy I guess


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. #415  

    Default Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Neither was I, but several posts in this thread have been very rude towards me. I guess I have to let it go though is what you are saying.
    No, my reply had nothing to do with statements prior to the one I mentioned. Having said that, try to take at least a little bit of responsibility for some of the replies you've gotten. You have people here with a lot more life experience than you, and when some of them try to explain certain things to you or point out flaws in your argument/statements, you appear to try to justify your statement to save face instead of gaining knowledge from the wisdom of others. You think that Apple should make a low cost phone and take advantage of a certain segment. We all know that Apple could, but some of us have explained why they don't have to and why they shouldn't. You've mentioned "third world countries" on numerous occasions and equated it with being poor, yet, everyone who lives in what you refer to as third world countries aren't poor at all. It can be argued that you view the iPhone and/or the Apple brand as a status symbol and maybe you think it's a good idea for everyone to enjoy that status symbol and not feel left out. If so, that's admirable, but impractical. First of all, not everyone wants an iPhone. I'd even argue that many who do not yet have a smartphone would simply be glad to have one, regardless of the brand. Anyway, my apologies for rambling. I'm literally dosing off. That's how tired I am.......Anyway, as always, I enjoy the replies. Take care.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
  16. #416  
    Les74's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,007 Global Posts

    Default Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tech_eater View Post
    Nope. It has the A6, same logic board, same rear camera and pretty much all the some components except it has an improved front facing camera, supports more LTE bands, and I believe it might have a slightly larger battery.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Interesting....and, in that case, what was the point of selling it? In hindsight, it made a ton of money, but I just don't get it.
  17. #417  
    the_tech_eater's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,189 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by H A W K View Post
    Wow nice.... Mind you most of the population doesn't make over a hundred grand a year there either. Different area, different economy I guess


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Must be nice to work in the money oozing oil and gas industry I plan on going up to South Dakota during the summer while I'm in college and cashing in


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    HAWK likes this.
  18. #418  
    Smply_Rcklss's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tech_eater View Post
    I think it was a good idea. Instead of just offering the same phone from the year before for a lower price, they offered it in a new package, with some minor tweaks, so the same lower price.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Ohhh, okay. Yeah, I thought it was also just a different variant of the iPhone 5, but without touch ID & a plastic outterbody. I always thought it had the same specs as the 5s, but they cut the cost down because it was plastic. Makes sense though.
  19. #419  

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    No, my reply had nothing to do with statements prior to the one I mentioned. Having said that, try to take at least a little bit of responsibility for some of the replies you've gotten. You have people here with a lot more life experience than you, and when some of them try to explain certain things to you or point out flaws in your argument/statements, you appear to try to justify your statement to save face instead of gaining knowledge from the wisdom of others. You think that Apple should make a low cost phone and take advantage of a certain segment. We all know that Apple could, but some of us explained why they don't have to and why they shouldn't. You've mentioned "third world countries" on numerous occasions and equated it with being poor, yet, everyone who lives in what you refer to as third world countries aren't poor at all. It can be argued that you view the iPhone and/or the Apple brand as a status symbol and maybe you think it's a good idea for everyone to enjoy that status symbol and not feel left out. If so, that's admirable, but impractical. First of all, not everyone wants an iPhone. I'd even argue that many who do not yet have a smartphone would simply be glad to have one, regardless of the brand. Anyway, my apologies for rambling. I'm literally dosing off. That's how tired I am.......Anyway, as always, I enjoy the replies. Take care.
    Well said d


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just_Me_D likes this.
  20. #420  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    12,021 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by cbobb123 View Post
    I'm pretty sure sure you would see many more people holding an iPhone than driving a Lexus. I really don't see how the iPhone is any more "luxurious" than; for example, the m8 or the note 4 (note 4 is more expensive in my country). They all just seem like high end premium flagships to me. Apple's brand image to me is about high quality products. Nothing luxurious about them IMO.
    It's weird...the only people who keep saying that are you and the 20 year old world traveling business tycoon. I certainly never said anything remotely close to that, nor do I think they are more luxurious than those phones...those phones are also luxury items, but the companies that make the aren't because they cover the broad spectrum of devices from cheap to high end...they have luxury devices, but are not luxury brands. Chevrolet makes some really nice cars that rival luxury brands, but they are not a luxury brand...Cadillac is Chevy's luxury brand, and they do not make cheap, economy cars. Why? It would degrade the brand.

    As far as more iPhones than Lexus', that's not really a surprise...the iPhone is far more obtainable due to the relative cost of smart phones vs. automobiles, and can be used by a broader spectrum of consumer (even if a 10-15 year old wanted to drive a Lexus and had the means to get one, they couldn't in most parts of the world because of legalities amongst a dozen other limitations vehicles have).
    the_tech_eater likes this.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #421  
    A895's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,138 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Dude, you do realize you just validated Sean's statement about the iPhone being more expensive than average phones. Beside, be careful with your use of "not expensive at all" because there are a good deal of people here in the U.S., especially those who are out of work and struggling, who would disagree with you in that regard.
    It isn't luxury price that is my point. A point everyone keeps skipping over. Most of this thread has been arguing semantics and how Apple is luxury as it was just said and proved that iPhones aren't luxury. Because they are not real luxury, they are a consumer brand, so doing a low cost iPhone would not hurt a tech brand.

    If anything the media and mass consumers will hail this as Apple revolutionizing low end.
  22. #422  
    the_tech_eater's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,189 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    It's weird...the only people who keep saying that are you and the 20 year old world traveling business tycoon. I certainly never said anything remotely close to that, nor do I think they are more luxurious than those phones...those phones are also luxury items, but the companies that make the aren't because they cover the broad spectrum of devices from cheap to high end...they have luxury devices, but are not luxury brands. Chevrolet makes some really nice cars that rival luxury brands, but they are not a luxury brand...Cadillac is Chevy's luxury brand, and they do not make cheap, economy cars. Why? It would degrade the brand.

    As far as more iPhones than Lexus', that's not really a surprise...the iPhone is far more obtainable due to the relative cost of smart phones vs. automobiles, and can be used by a broader spectrum of consumer (even if a 10-15 year old wanted to drive a Lexus and had the means to get one, they couldn't in most parts of the world because of legalities amongst a dozen other limitations vehicles have).
    And anyone can save for a few months and set back $650. Not so much for a luxury car.


    Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #423  
    A895's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,138 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by H A W K View Post
    An iPhone and any other phone may have a power button and a touch screen, but they are in two different classes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By your own personal definition it may be, but an iPhone is just another high end smartphone.
    cbobb123 likes this.
  24. #424  
    BreakingKayfabe's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,554 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,935 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    It isn't luxury price that is my point. A point everyone keeps skipping over. Most of this thread has been arguing semantics and how Apple is luxury as it was just said and proved that iPhones aren't luxury. Because they are not real luxury, they are a consumer brand, so doing a low cost iPhone would not hurt a tech brand.

    If anything the media and mass consumers will hail this as Apple revolutionizing low end.
    Okay. You made your point.

    Going to close this for a cool down. We keep going in circles and we're nearing the black hole.
    the_tech_eater and HAWK like this.
  25. #425  

    Default Re: Why Not A Low Cost iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    It isn't luxury price that is my point. A point everyone keeps skipping over. Most of this thread has been arguing semantics and how Apple is luxury as it was just said and proved that iPhones aren't luxury. Because they are not real luxury, they are a consumer brand, so doing a low cost iPhone would not hurt a tech brand.

    If anything the media and mass consumers will hail this as Apple revolutionizing low end.
    The Apple brand is considered high end. Period. That doesn't mean it's the best there is. It simply means that it is viewed as high end. Some people will equate high end with luxury. The price of a Hyundai Sonata limited 2.0T is comparable to that of a BMW 328i, yet, the BMW is considered high end / luxury and although the the Note 4, as you've mentioned, cost more than an iPhone, the iPhone is still considered the high end / luxury item in comparison of the two. "Real" has nothing to do with it. Would your view change if Apple bought HTC and then sold the HTC One as its low end device to those "third world countries"?
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to transfer photos from my iPhone 4S to my pc?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2014, 09:14 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2014, 09:12 AM
  3. Why can't I change the iTune's account in my App Store?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2014, 08:33 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2014, 07:49 AM
  5. Why can't I access my iPad - it is not responding at all?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2014, 06:56 AM

Posting Permissions