Around here, most do take AP classes. And a junior level Spanish course is advanced. The years you took in high school were the entry level classes. I started college with well over a semester's worth of college credit from taking many AP classes and I still don't consider any of them advanced. They enabled me to get out of taking the some of the entry level (freshman and sophomore) college classes and proceed directly into the more advanced classes.
    I don't know why but I don't like use of "around here". Anyways in others places, most high students don't take AP courses. But I can see it happening at Gifted schools or private schools where the majority would be in AP courses.

Sent from my Glamorous Gold iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
    A895 likes this.
    12-08-2014 09:47 PM
    Around here, most do take AP classes. And a junior level Spanish course is advanced. The years you took in high school were the entry level classes. I started college with well over a semester's worth of college credit from taking many AP classes and I still don't consider any of them advanced. They enabled me to get out of taking the some of the entry level (freshman and sophomore) college classes and proceed directly into the more advanced classes.
    They way you say it, you were exceptionally talented. Not everyone is as gifted. I tool AP classes but didnt do as exceptional as that.
    12-08-2014 09:48 PM
    Business Statistics isn't taught in high school.
    Calculus is. And I previously said that advanced math was what is used in the hard sciences like physics. I've taken business stats and I almost had enough credits for a math minor. Business stats is no where close to being advanced compared to some of those classes.
    12-08-2014 09:48 PM
    I don't consider any class routinely taught in High school to be advanced.
    Are you from the DMV area?

12-08-2014 09:50 PM
    I don't know why but I don't like use of "around here". Anyways in others places, most high students don't take AP courses. But I can see it happening at Gifted schools or private schools where the majority would be in AP courses.

Not gifted or private schools. Just DC suburban public schools. Large numbers of AP or IB classes are offered.
    12-08-2014 09:51 PM
    They way you say it, you were exceptionally talented. Not everyone is as gifted. I tool AP classes but didnt do as exceptional as that.
    The first two years of college classes are entry level. They largely prepare you for what you need to know as you specialize in your major.
    12-08-2014 09:52 PM
    Calculus is. And I previously said that advanced math was what is used in the hard sciences like physics. I've taken business stats and I almost had enough credits for a math minor. Business stats is no where close to being advanced compared to some of those classes.
    It is advanced. I remember my Professor saying this is advanced math and theories. It isn't simple math someone straight from high school (most high schools, no clue where you went) would get.
    12-08-2014 09:53 PM
    It is advanced. I remember my Professor saying this is advanced math and theories. It isn't simple math someone straight from high school (most high schools, no clue where you went) would get.
    We can disagree.
    12-08-2014 09:55 PM
    The first two years of college classes are entry level. They largely prepare you for what you need to know as you specialize in your major.
    My major curriculum is set that you can do whatever classes you choose, I chose to try 2 business classes to see how it was and I didn't like it, so I am changing my major. Best to figure it out now instead of trying to switch 2 years later.
    MaciLicous likes this.
    12-08-2014 09:55 PM
    Most college students change their majors. You grow and you learn in college. I actually had quite a few life changing experiences in college. So he has every right to do what's best for him and do what's going make him happy.

Who said anything to the contrary? My comment was in regard to the singularity of failing one class and having it derail a degree path...if that happened, the person working on that degree was in the wrong path to begin with, and it had little to do with failing it. I was also referencing his comments about how his grades had little to nothing to do with his knowledge on the subject...when it comes to math, that's really the ONLY thing that matters...that or having a stellar memory.
    12-08-2014 10:07 PM
    My major curriculum is set that you can do whatever classes you choose, I chose to try 2 business classes to see how it was and I didn't like it, so I am changing my major. Best to figure it out now instead of trying to switch 2 years later.
    Based on this conversation, you made a very wise choice for your future by doing so.
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    12-08-2014 10:08 PM
    Who said anything to the contrary? My comment was in regard to the singularity of failing one class and having it derail a degree path...if that happened, the person working on that degree was in the wrong path to begin with, and it had little to do with failing it. I was also referencing his comments about how his grades had little to nothing to do with his knowledge on the subject...when it comes to math, that's really the ONLY thing that matters...that or having a stellar memory.
    Mainly working on problem solving and remembering forumals, that is a lot when it is required to have a note card or formal sheet to even do a test.
    12-08-2014 10:12 PM
    That is funny because tech eater is even younger than I am.
    Btw, I'm wondering how you figured that out? I haven't posted anything about my age or being in high school for a long time...

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    12-08-2014 10:13 PM
    Btw, I'm wondering how you figured that out? I haven't posted anything about my age or being in high school for a long time...

I remember you explicitly saying you were a senior in high school.
    12-08-2014 10:17 PM
    I remember you explicitly saying you were a senior in high school.
    Cool

12-08-2014 10:18 PM
    Great reading for a Tuesday morning when I'm iced in.
    Calculus is an advanced course if your major Is history or literature.
    For business majors it's a requirement because it is a prerequisite core for further analytics classes. If you go into an MBA it is simply the first in a series of analytics and then advanced courses.
    For hard sciences such as physics, calculus is basic entry level.
    Therefore saying that calculus is advanced math is inaccurate because it does not take into account the context. For a middle school child it's a gifted class. For a physics bound freshman it's a basic entry core class.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    12-09-2014 06:00 AM
    Regarding the whole idea of a low cost iPhone, I agree that it's not a good idea for the brand. And not Apple's focus. Lesson learned from the 5c is that people would rather wait for last year's model on sale than to get a lower prices iPhone UNLESS it is priced extra low and aimed at kids' first smartphone.

12-09-2014 06:04 AM
    Regarding the whole idea of a low cost iPhone, I agree that it's not a good idea for the brand. And not Apple's focus. Lesson learned from the 5c is that people would rather wait for last year's model on sale than to get a lower prices iPhone UNLESS it is priced extra low and aimed at kids' first smartphone.

The iPhone 5c wasn't a failure per say. Apple sold more 5C's than any single android model sold...
    BUT, it wasn't really meant to be a low cost iPhone either.

12-09-2014 07:28 AM
    The iPhone 5c wasn't a failure per say. Apple sold more 5C's than any single android model sold...
    BUT, it wasn't really meant to be a low cost iPhone either.

Oh I don't think it was a failure, just not as successful as initially thought.

12-09-2014 07:31 AM
    It is not only about profit, it is about getting the next billion customers with smartphones.

All I seen so far is people complaining about the brand devaluation, and saying Apple makes enough money.

It is also about how to get new customers as well and not just old ones.

I still not have seen legitimate reasons why they shouldn't do it.
    Here's your next "Billion" customers right here: IPhone 6 Preorders: China Set To Surpass US As Apple's Biggest Smartphone Market

Apple doesn't need to sell cheap iPhones to gain marketshare anymore than Mercedes-Benz needs to make cheap cars. Mercedes Sales Surge in China - 24/7 Wall St.
    12-09-2014 09:31 AM
    Here's your next "Billion" customers right here: IPhone 6 Preorders: China Set To Surpass US As Apple's Biggest Smartphone Market

Apple doesn't need to sell cheap iPhones to gain marketshare anymore than Mercedes-Benz needs to make cheap cars. Mercedes Sales Surge in China - 24/7 Wall St.
    That was not my only reason why they should.
    12-09-2014 10:00 AM
    Great reading for a Tuesday morning when I'm iced in.
    Calculus is an advanced course if your major Is history or literature.
    For business majors it's a requirement because it is a prerequisite core for further analytics classes. If you go into an MBA it is simply the first in a series of analytics and then advanced courses.
    For hard sciences such as physics, calculus is basic entry level.
    Therefore saying that calculus is advanced math is inaccurate because it does not take into account the context. For a middle school child it's a gifted class. For a physics bound freshman it's a basic entry core class.

The context is that I did not want to continue a degree if it was going to continue be much harder than I can handle. It is calculus mixed with Statistics, not an easy class. And I have no clue where everyone dismisses it like it is some easy class, it isn't. And I don't know where people live where you can take a class like it in middle school or high school.

Unless it is some private school, Business Statistics wouldn't be a normal class anyone can get into. I was gifted in math, and took Calculus in high school, but for Business Statistics, the theories and various formulas proved a little too much for me to handle personally.

I realized that it would only get harder so, my choice was change the major or keep attempting a field I have no real skill in. I don't plan on wasting my time trying for a major if the work is too much.

Healthcare and sciences have always been my strengths, and I have hospital work experience, and I know I can net a job as a Nurse not long after I graduate. So I changed my major accordingly.
    12-09-2014 10:10 AM
    The context is that I did not want to continue a degree if it was going to continue be much harder than I can handle. It is calculus mixed with Statistics, not an easy class. And I have no clue where everyone dismisses it like it is some easy class, it isn't. And I don't know where people live where you can take a class like it in middle school or high school.

Unless it is some private school, Business Statistics wouldn't be a normal class anyone can get into. I was gifted in math, and took Calculus in high school, but for Business Statistics, the theories and various formulas proved a little too much for me to handle personally.

I realized that it would only get harder so, my choice was change the major or keep attempting a field I have no real skill in. I don't plan on wasting my time trying for a major if the work is too much.

Healthcare and sciences have always been my strengths, and I have hospital work experience, and I know I can net a job as a Nurse not long after I graduate. So I changed my major accordingly.
    Oh I'm not discussing you specifically. Just the term "advanced" generally when in the context of the field of study.

12-09-2014 10:12 AM
    Looking at the course sequence for my major(marketing) I'll have to either take stats or business stats in my junior year

12-09-2014 10:14 AM
    Oh I'm not discussing you specifically. Just the term "advanced" generally when in the context of the field of study.

I was meaning advanced in terms of what anyone from high school would be able to do. There is a reason the bulk of my class was sophomores, juniors and seniors. Even then, a lot of people struggled with the class as it is pretty difficult to understand.
    12-09-2014 10:22 AM
431 ... 1213141516 ...