Apps stuck in "Waiting" mode with no help in sight

Pankratiast

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,
My humblest apologies if this has been reposted here before but i'm new to this and a little lost.

i wonder if anyone can help me here. I have an iphone 4 running on 5.0.1 for reasons that its JB. I went to update my apps and they have been frozen in the ?waiting? position for 2 days now. Ive tried to delete them but to no success as the X wont show up on them. Ive installed other ones with success yet the stuck ones will not budge. I?ve tried signing in and out of my account with no success?rebooting after every attempt at any change?reset the setting s and still no luck. Ive even tried to delete them from Itunes on my pc and then sync?.no success they are still on my phone. Even the ones i dont want on my phone anymore which ive deleted on itunes are still present on my phone. I have nothing downloading on itunes that might have gotten them stuck as i dont download music from there. Ive tried updating them with still now success?they wnt change to pause or anything other than the dreaded ?Waiting?! I?m at me wits end?please can someone help me.I dont want to do a Factory reset as i dont want to lose all my stuff from Cydia, and its too much of a hastle. whether i delete them usinf Itunes and syncing on my pc they are still on my phone in the WAITING position. I use one of them all the time?Audible?and while its been reinstalled it just sits there unbudged in the waiting position. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
My humblest apologies if this has been reposted here before but i'm new to this and a little lost.

i wonder if anyone can help me here. I have an iphone 4 running on 5.0.1 for reasons that its JB. I went to update my apps and they have been frozen in the ?waiting? position for 2 days now. Ive tried to delete them but to no success as the X wont show up on them. Ive installed other ones with success yet the stuck ones will not budge. I?ve tried signing in and out of my account with no success?rebooting after every attempt at any change?reset the setting s and still no luck. Ive even tried to delete them from Itunes on my pc and then sync?.no success they are still on my phone. Even the ones i dont want on my phone anymore which ive deleted on itunes are still present on my phone. I have nothing downloading on itunes that might have gotten them stuck as i dont download music from there. Ive tried updating them with still now success?they wnt change to pause or anything other than the dreaded ?Waiting?! I?m at me wits end?please can someone help me.I dont want to do a Factory reset as i dont want to lose all my stuff from Cydia, and its too much of a hastle. whether i delete them usinf Itunes and syncing on my pc they are still on my phone in the WAITING position. I use one of them all the time?Audible?and while its been reinstalled it just sits there unbudged in the waiting position. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

1. Try downloading the app in iTunes and then sync to transfer the app to your iPhone.
  2. Delete the ?waiting? app and reinstall it from the iTunes store.
  3. Single tap the app?s icon on the home screen and it will pause the download, then go back to the App store, switch to the ?Updates? screen and click ?Update? to resume the download.

Pankratiast

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
As i mentioned above, i tried that and even when deleting them from itunes on my pc they're still on my phone...totally frustrated.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
As i mentioned above, i tried that and even when deleting them from itunes on my pc they're still on my phone...totally frustrated.

on your phone, log-out of the app store, then log in again... an make sure you're logging in with the same AppleID that the apps were purchased under.

Pankratiast

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Done that too....no success....this is really discouraging....they're just sitting there on my device whether i delete them or not from itunes or not. Ive logged in and out so many times, i even changed passwords and still nothing. Other apps install perfectly fine except for these stuck ones

Last edited by a moderator:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
And they won't update if you tap the app icons on your homescreen? Sometimes they freeze if you lose signal during an update, and you need to tap the icon to start the update going again.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
had this problem before. Make sure you have an internet connection. Open the task switcher and kill everything. Then open Cydia and if there are any updates do the Complete update. Then the device should either reboot or if not manually reboot it. Then hook up to iTunes and uncheck sync apps do a sync. This will remove all the apps from your ☎ just make sure you let the sync finish completely. Reboot the ☎ and hopefully the stubborn apps are gone. Click to sync your apps and check the ones you want. Let us know if it works, worked for me.

Pankratiast

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately i didnt work...:(....i'm starting to think i'm the only sucker who hasnt been able to get it going. They wont even delete from my phone by any means.....i dont want to do a complete factory reset. Help!!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately i didnt work...:(....i'm starting to think i'm the only sucker who hasnt been able to get it going. They wont even delete from my phone by any means.....i dont want to do a complete factory reset. Help!!

Task Switcher - double click the home button

You tried my steps and it didn't work? Do you have Winterboard? Any themes on? If so turn off all the themes and let Winterboard restart the springboard. Then reboot the ☎ and try to remove the apps.

Pankratiast

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I will try that and let you know thanks. I'm at my wits end I haven't been able to get anything done with this on iphone ever since.

Pankratiast

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It's a 4...been working well and still dies except for this haste. I've tried deleting them from
Both the phone and iTunes and rebooting and still nothing. They don't want to leave the phone. I've loved in and out and rebooted so many times. I have apps on my phone on waiting that aren't even in my iTunes on the pc or in my settings "usage" folder. They're just sitting there.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Can you post some screenshots? Something is getting lost in translation here.
(And did you try my suggestion above—tapping the icon to resume the download?)

Also—you don't have any restrictions set in Settings>General>Restrictions to prevent deleting apps, do you?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Can you post some screenshots? Something is getting lost in translation here.
(And did you try my suggestion above—tapping the icon to resume the download?)

Also—you don't have any restrictions set in Settings>General>Restrictions to prevent deleting apps, do you?

Like Massie I think the screenshots will help a lot in us understanding what exactly is going on.

bromo999

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If you use Match on your iPhone, check to see if you have any songs that are still downloading from iCloud. This happened to me recently where there were several song stuck downloading, I deleted the first in the list and the rest completed. As soon as the songs completed downloading, my app upgrades started moving and finished in a few minutes.