Getting new iP4, app question for budgeting and passwords

grkmnl

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to this site and iPhones, but I will be getting an iP4 shortly.

Right now I am interested in getting a budgeting app and a password app and I'd like some advice :)

For the budgeting app, I don't need an extra complex one that'll provide me with graphs, etc etc.

Basically what I want is something that I can enter my pay chq amount -I can do this manually, or ideally if I can have it recurring, and whenever I make an expense, I want to put it in a category. Say "lunch", "grocery", "entertainment" etc and for the app to basically keep track of these and maybe show me at the end of month where I have spent my money and how much I "should" have left after all the expenses etc.

For the PW app, I am a BB user so I am looking for something to basically just "store" my passwords, like the PW keeper app for BBs.

I just want to enter my user name, PW, site name or whatever it is for, and just save it on my phone.

Thanks a lot in advance!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi and welcome to iMore:)

I can give you a suggestion for the pw keeper app as I was a previous bb user as well:) I currently use an app called "keeper" and it's free or you can get the paid version which has more options-one of which i believe it syncs your info through wifi to have as a 'back up'. I've never ventured that far with the app as the free version does what I need, storing my user names & pws.

I back up with iTunes weekly so that's why I don't worry about getting the paid version.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the iMore forums. As for a good password related app, I tried several and ended up going with DataVault because I can customize the layouts to my liking even though the preinstalled layouts are more than sufficient.

Just Me, D

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
+1 for DataVault, and I'm not just saying that cause I work for the company. I was a customer first. :)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the iMore forums. As for a good password related app, I tried several and ended up going with DataVault because I can customize the layouts to my liking even though the preinstalled layouts are more than sufficient.

Just Me, D

Do you use the desktop, too, or just the iOS version?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you use the desktop, too, or just the iOS version?

I only use the iOS version on both my iPhone and iPad. I love that app. I may eventually purchase the Desktop version for my MacBook for syncing purposes but I'm not in a rush. After I make a change or add a new entry on one device, I immediately create a backup then connect the device to my MacBook, copy the backup to my desktop, connect the other device and then transfer the backup and restore to the second device. I know it appears time consuming, but it's not.

Just Me, D

HYDE1000

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I went through all of the password apps mentioned and none of them met my needs. Ended up getting mSecure and am very happy. The customer support has been the best I have seen so far from a developer.

grkmnl

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
So with all those apps, is it just manual entry of details?

I don't trust apps that "sync" my pws, like I said what I really want do is basically just enter all my details, like BB pw keeper.

So for example it'd be:

Yahoo email
pw123
yahoo.com

etc, and I'd enter the app with a password obviously :)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I only use the iOS version on both my iPhone and iPad. I love that app. I may eventually purchase the Desktop version for my MacBook for syncing purposes but I'm not in a rush. After I make a change or add a new entry on one device, I immediately create a backup then connect the device to my MacBook, copy the backup to my desktop, connect the other device and then transfer the backup and restore to the second device. I know it appears time consuming, but it's not.

Just Me, D

You're gonna love the version we have coming out next. Automagic sync between your iPhone and iPad. :D

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
So with all those apps, is it just manual entry of details?

I don't trust apps that "sync" my pws, like I said what I really want do is basically just enter all my details, like BB pw keeper.

So for example it'd be:

Yahoo email
pw123
yahoo.com

etc, and I'd enter the app with a password obviously :)

DataVault only syncs locally. From your iPhone/iPad to your computer.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You're gonna love the version we have coming out next. Automagic sync between your iPhone and iPad. :D

Schweet! I'm looking forward to it and thank you for the tip. I appreciate it very much! ;)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Well that's the thing, I don't want it to sync anything :) can I disable the sync?

If you don't want to sync, you don't have to. You actually have to begin the sync manually so there's nothing to disable.

But what you would want to do is manual backups - you can store them anywhere.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, for your needs, the Mint app sounds pretty sufficient for budgeting. I have pretty specific requirements in a finance app I haven't been able to find yet, but I've found SilverWiz and PocketMoney at the next two that are pretty close in terms of where your money's gone.

However, my biggest concern is where my money will go. Is buying that new iPad going to overdraw my bank account 6 months down the line? Will I be able to save enough money to take a vacation? For that, the most stable app I've found is Account Tracker - the budgeting piece is still a work in progress, but the cash flow is fantastic. I REALLY love My Cash Flow HD for cash flow, but it becomes too unstable after too many edits to recurring transactions. Account Tracker does have a lot more customization to recurring transactions.

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree that Mint is your best money mgt option. It's excellent financial management software that happens to have an app, not an app that tries to be money mgt software. Another one you might find useful is Pageonce. This is the best app I have found for tracking balances, due dates, and pretty much everything. Together, these will likely provide you with all the tools you could possible need.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2