iPad apps are too expensive for having no trial period

IPRick

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm not looking for free handout..and I don't think I'm entitled to free stuff. However, with that said...I can easily shrug off a sub-standard app that costs $0.99. I have a much harder time shrugging off a 5 or 10 dollar app. I wouldn't mind these prices so much if I could try the app out first. Most of the apps available right now are not worth the advertised price, but its hard to figure that out without actually trying the app. You can only rely on reviews so much. I've seen apps I loved with pathetic reviews, and some I've hated with 5 star reviews. With these elevated prices...does anyone else wish they could try apps before buying?

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
Such is the way it is at the moment. As sales begin to settle on a certain price point, the prices might just come down, or free versions might just start cropping up, just like happened with the iPhone. Give it time... the iPad has been out for 48 hours.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
All paid apps need a trial period, something like 3 days. After that, you have the option to keep it or erase. Yeah, shelling out money for some of these iPad apps can get expensive.

Wasgo

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
But it's no different than a lot of commercial software or video games. I'd love trial periods, but really don't expect them for games or apps on the iPad.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I definitely would like the ability to get a refund within 1-3 times of using the app.. aka a trial period.

The refund option is one of the few things I like about the Android Market.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
You used to be able to get refunds from the AppStore. I'm not sure when it changed, or why, but apparently refunds are no longer available. Odd.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
Well... after scouring the internet, I stand somewhat corrected. It is still possible to get a refund, but not very clear how to do so, and there is no guarantee that Apple will authorize a refund.

Basically, within iTunes, go to your account and then your purchase history. Browse through your purchase history until you find the receipt with the purchase you are disputing. Drill down into the receipt, and then click on "Report A Problem." From there, click on the link "Report A Problem" next to the item you are reporting. Fill in the form and cross your fingers.

I would not suggest abusing the process. As I said earlier, Apple doesn't make much mention of this process, refunds aren't guaranteed, and Apple could just decline all of your refund requests if they feel like it.

WhackAttack

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice if it was free for say 24-72 hours then it required registration to continue, since you can do in App purchases now I think something like this would work. Maybe. Says the guy with no knowledge of programming. hhehe

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
But it's no different than a lot of commercial software or video games. I'd love trial periods, but really don't expect them for games or apps on the iPad.

Most desktop software doesn't have any trial period, why should these apps?

I don't know what kind of apps you mean, but the online app store fistriution model could easily support the trial period option. Also, physical wares can be resold by an unsatisfied user, while app store games cannot. Console games can be rented before buying, while app store games cannot.

And really, there are a number of other apps out there that let you try before you buy. Instead of asking why we should have a trial period, I think the better question is why we should not.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
App trials worked well in the Palm and shareware worlds. survival of the fittest. I used hundreds of 7-30 day trials and bought quite a few.

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The Android Market allows a refund within 24 hours, no questions asked. It would be great if the App Store had something similar. Even a 12 hour window would be wonderful.

lillian0520

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
people always will not buy after try, unless it is a very very good app.
excatly ipad app is more expensive than iphone app~
Many iphone app is 0.99,but ipad 2.99 or higher

gilroykilroy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I kinda wish Apple had the same policy as over in "the other" camp where you have a 24 hour refund period. I do see where Apple is coming from though, not every desktop app as a "trial" version but a lot do.

For my iOS apps, when they are ready, I plan on an ad supported demo version with mostly the same functionality, but less content, than the ad-less paid version. This is probably the best compromise for users and developers at this time.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR