C'mon, Apple! It's time to catch up to Samsung!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Samsung has announced a new Galaxy Watch. It's very similar to the S3 Gear (I think).

Galaxy_Watch_42mm_Rose_Gold.jpg

This is a really nice looking watch with a really nice looking watch face.

I love my SSAW. Put a nice band on it and it's an elegant looking Watch case. The faces not so much. The only elegant watch faces are on the Hermés versions. So whether you get the SS, Ceramic, or BSS Apple Watch, you get only pedestrian Watch faces.

Yeah, Woody is cute, not who I'd bring to a Black and White soiree.

The Apple Watch (of which I have a few) is a very nice device in the form of a Watch. But the Galaxy Watch, with it's really nice analog faces, is a watch.

I don't know what Apple has got planned for the fall, but I really hope it's more than just a squaring of a rectangle or another inelegant watch face.

Whether in the I hate Apple, I hate Samsung, or I hate Round Watches camps, Sammie has definitely raised the bar.

The ante has been upped.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Wow now that's a pretty watch face! I prefer a clean traditional analog watch face therefore I use the Simple watch face on my Apple Watch. @ Mac Guy we may be in the minority who like our watch to look like a watch and not a smart device on our arm. I love my Apple Watch but at times I wish it looked more like a traditional round watch with a nice analog watch face. I know a round Apple Watch has been rumored possibly for the future but we'll have to wait and see if Apple plays nice to give us a choice of both round and rectangle alongside each other. Here's to hoping that Apple gives us a few nice looking watch faces this fall.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That does look really nice but I also see why Apple is sticking with the rectangular display of the Apple Watch. At the end of the day functionality is most important to me. From a functionality standpoint I haven’t used a smart watch that does quite as well as the Apple Watch. Maybe Samsung has done something magical here and made a round display work really well but I still don’t see that happening. It hadn’t with the last version anyway.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Rob Phillips said:
At the end of the day functionality is most important to me.

And that would be a good reason for you to stick with the rectangular display, not Apple. Just as Apple offers a myriad of Watch bands they could offer one round Watch, and some elegant Watch faces.

There are times and occasions where I don't need maximum input saturation, and would instead appreciate some form over function. It wouldn't be a first for Apple. Choice is all I'm sayin'.

Rob Phillips said:
From a functionality standpoint I haven’t used a smart watch that does quite as well as the Apple Watch.

I don't understand the either or mentality. 'There can be only one'. That's just ridiculous. Chevrolet makes the Suburban and the Corvette. A buyer has a choice.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Apple made a round Watch it would sell well. My guess is Apple doesn't want to be seen as 'me too'. A round Watch doesn't have to be every bit as efficient as a rectangular Watch.

Almost every Apple product makes a compromise in choice compared to the competition, as to form and function. Sometimes some manufacturers follow suit, sometimes they don't.

we may be in the minority who like our watch to look like a watch and not a smart device on our arm. I love my Apple Watch but at times I wish it looked more like a traditional round watch with a nice analog watch face.

Sister, you are indeed preaching to the choir along with everything else you said! Looks like just you and me against the world! :rotfl: I use the Simple face a lot, because it is really nice. Another nice face would be a rectangular Simple face that actually compliments the Watch's current shape, without paying the big $$.

I won't give up hope!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, that's because the Apple Watch is more of a computer that just a watch.

If I want just something that tells time, I'll go to Target or Wal-Mart and get me a $10 cheapo wrist watch, or I'll just use my phone to see what time it is.

The Apple Watch is more an extension of your iPhone that just a device on your wrist that tells time.

I really don't think Apple needs to do anything more than what they are already doing.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
That’s absolutely BEAUTIFUL♥️♥️ I for one love an elegant watch, which is why I don’t have an Apple Watch yet & when considering one I only consider the Hermès version. I definitely think options are good, but I doubt if Apple will offer two different shapes, especially since the current shape sells very well. I do, however, think they should offer more elegant watch face options. While the cartoons & butterflies ‘n such are cute, I don’t want them on my arm. That’s just my personal preference.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site

If I want just something that tells time, I'll go to Target or Wal-Mart and get me a $10 cheapo wrist watch, or I'll just use my phone to see what time it is.

The Apple Watch is more an extension of your iPhone that just a device on your wrist that tells time.

I really don't think Apple needs to do anything more than what they are already doing.

Galaxy Watch nor every other Android Wear smartwatch are any different to Apple Watch in terms of functionality and use case. So, please, Apple Watch isn't superior to others when it comes to 'what it can do'. However it is superior when it comes to 'how well it does those things'.

The key difference with round and square is that content is readable and easily accessible in a square display. Try reading a news or message notifications - it is weird to read and respond to as well in a round display.

From my experience, using apps in Apple Watch is more intuitive than using apps in a round display. Yes, I have used an Android watch and Gear S3.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve stated on numerous occasions that Apple need to incorporate some elegant watch faces into its Watch. The current batch of watch faces are fine for a first generation Watch, but not now.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Mac Guy;3[emoji646 said:
8179]Just as Apple offers a myriad of Watch bands they could offer one round Watch, and some elegant Watch faces.

I don't understand the either or mentality. 'There can be only one'. That's just ridiculous. Chevrolet makes the Suburban and the Corvette. A buyer has a choice.

While you find my opinion “ridiculous” I’m just being realistic. It’s doubtful Apple will offer both options. And yes, I do very much choose function over form. That being said, Apple Watch is still a really good looking device and if I’m looking for something more fashionable I have plenty of other non-smart watches that look way better than that Samsung watch.

Last edited:

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Samsung doesn’t make any of their Gear Classic, Sport or Frontier watches in anything other than round. To get a rectangular, not even square really, Samsung watch I have to go with Gear Fit, which doesn’t have the same features as the Sport, Classic or Frontier.

Last edited:

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Wow now that's a pretty watch face! I prefer a clean traditional analog watch face therefore I use the Simple watch face on my Apple Watch. @ Mac Guy we may be in the minority who like our watch to look like a watch and not a smart device on our arm. I love my Apple Watch but at times I wish it looked more like a traditional round watch with a nice analog watch face. I know a round Apple Watch has been rumored possibly for the future but we'll have to wait and see if Apple plays nice to give us a choice of both round and rectangle alongside each other. Here's to hoping that Apple gives us a few nice looking watch faces this fall.

That’s why I loved my google wear fossil watch. It looks like a watch and I have an analog watch face with it. In the end though I got a series 4 because it tracks health stuff which the fossil one doesn’t.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
That does look really nice but I also see why Apple is sticking with the rectangular display of the Apple Watch. At the end of the day functionality is most important to me. From a functionality standpoint I haven’t used a smart watch that does quite as well as the Apple Watch. Maybe Samsung has done something magical here and made a round display work really well but I still don’t see that happening. It hadn’t with the last version anyway.

Eh I had a Samsung gear S3 and loved it. Actually I found it better then the Apple Watch. Only issue is the ecosystem

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

So ? Google wear and Samsung Galaxy Watch is the same way but is circular and does mostly everything the Apple Watch does.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It’s safe to assume that some people on this forum don’t like Samsung, Android and the likes.
I am one of those people

So ? Doesn’t change the fact that those watches do the same exact thing as the Apple Watch does which you can’t dispute . The execution of it and if you like it is a whole different matter.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So ? Doesn’t change the fact that those watches do the same exact thing as the Apple Watch does which you can’t dispute . The execution of it and if you like it is a whole different matter.

Those watches don’t do what the Watch does with AirPods. Don’t watches can’t take over a call from the phone.
The continuity between Watch and iPhone is still not matched by other smart watches.
And now with Series 4 having ECG is only unique to the Watch.

And not to forget that the SoC is by far the best out there.

Do I need to go on or are you still gonna try to convince me that other watches can do the same as Watch?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Those watches don’t do what the Watch does with AirPods. Don’t watches can’t take over a call from the phone.
The continuity between Watch and iPhone is still not matched by other smart watches.
And now with Series 4 having ECG is only unique to the Watch.

And not to forget that the SoC is by far the best out there.

Do I need to go on or are you still gonna try to convince me that other watches can do the same as Watch?

Lmao. The basics is all the same. ECG is a new feature that as of now isn’t available. These watches all do the same basic things. Tells you the time, notifications, track your health/ fitness, and take calls and messages with Samsung and Apple Watch doing it on their respective platforms ( you can’t call or do messages on iOS with the Samsung Watch) and the google wear with at least my experience you can only do messages. Everything else you stated with the exception of the ecg feature is all preferences. The same basic functions can be done on both.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Lmao. The basics is all the same. ECG is a new feature that as of now isn’t available. These watches all do the same basic things. Tells you the time, notifications, track your health/ fitness, and take calls and messages with Samsung and Apple Watch doing it on their respective platforms ( you can’t call or do messages on iOS with the Samsung Watch) and the google wear with at least my experience you can only do messages. Everything else you stated with the exception of the ecg feature is all preferences. The same basic functions can be done on both.

You digress. You asked and I answered. I told you how the Watch is superior to any other smart watch out there, which should be reason enough to accept that other watches don’t do the same stuff that an Watch is capable of.

I passionately don’t like Android and Samsung devices in general.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh