Difference between Apple watches?

HBLEY

Banned
Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I just want to know what are the key difference between series 1 and 2? The difference are only physical or the OS has some sort of differences too? One Apple watch from series 2 is standing at $450 and the other one with slight differences is standing at $800.

Thanks!

Please give your input and eleborate if you feel the differences of both watches from different series in OS dimension. Like Added features if one watch has and other don't.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
re:

The main differences between series 1 and series 2

Series 2
Much brighter display
GPS built in
Much more water resistant
Slightly thicker at 11.4mm

Series 1 is cheaper
Series 1 and 2 are faster than the original (series 0 is what people call it now).

If you are an athlete or just exercise quite a bit, the series 2 would be the better choice in that it had the built in GPS so you wouldn't have to keep your phone with you as often, and you'd be able to swim with it more, deeper, and longer.

If you care about value the most, the series 1 would be better as it still has the dual core processor, and is splash resistant (IPX7).

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Please give your input and eleborate if you feel the differences of both watches from different series in OS dimension. Like Added features if one watch has and other don't.

If you do a search here or on many of the sites you'll find comprehensive threads about the differences, features, and opinions of same.

the original, now called Series 0

'Series 0' is basically tech slang and not an official designation, so don't expect to find it used on Apple's site. If you need any information from Apple's site the categories are Apple Watch (1st Generation), Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch Series 2 with sub categories of Edition, Nike+ Watch, and NikeLab Limited Edition.

Series 1 vs Series 2: https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/#mn_p

I own AWs and an AWS2 and while I can see the <1mm increase in thickness of the S2, I am not aware of it. And I don't feel its 2.2x brighter display is seen by the human eye as being 2.2x brighter. Due to the inverse square law, I'd say most people won't notice the increased brightness except maybe in a darkened room. Some will, but most— I don't think so.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
'Series 0' is basically tech slang and not an official designation, so don't expect to find it used on Apple's site.

Wasn't trying to imply it was an official Apple designation. ;). Just that a 3rd model does exist for comparison sake, which is available to those of us who use the after market. :)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
pkcable said:
Wasn't trying to imply it was an official Apple designation.

Didn't think you were. I was just clarifying because I've heard it cause a little confusion on a couple of occasions. It seemed appropriate as this is a pretty Apple and Apple Watch centric site.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like with the price differences the OP is talking about ($450 vs $800), at least on of them is a stainless steel model.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like with the price differences the OP is talking about ($450 vs $800), at least on of them is a stainless steel model.

If he was, then the difference should have been obvious before he even asked— one has an aluminum case and one has a stainless steel case.

There's no secret sauce here. Apple's and numerous other sites, along with several threads here have covered this ground pretty thoroughly.

He's aware of the minor differences, so there's only one potentially relevant difference left, the case.

Maybe he'll come back and elaborate. That's what he wanted from others here.

HBLEY

Banned
Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I have read a lot now about these series 2 watches. The main reason I posted this thread is I was hearing people say the OS features of series of 0 and 1 is different than that of 2.

and of course, the metal difference of the body and strap differences.

Last edited:

woesong

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a Series 0 we bought in December 2015. Originally, the battery ran the regimental 18 hours, or thereabouts. After nearly a year and a half, it's failing: full charge at 9AM, 20% left by 3PM.

It's over for this watch, right?

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I have a Series 0 we bought in December 2015. Originally, the battery ran the regimental 18 hours, or thereabouts. After nearly a year and a half, it's failing: full charge at 9AM, 20% left by 3PM.

It's over for this watch, right?

Is all your software up to date? That seems pretty extreme unless you are using it A LOT during the day.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
With the software, the Series 2 has a feature that allows you to turn the Digital Crown to slowly light up the screen. It also has a water mode for when you are swimming, as this is the watch that is deemed resistant enough to submerge. With the hardware, it is slightly thicker and heavier with an extra microphone hole. It has (I think it's called this) direct fire speakers that push water out of them after unlocking from the water mode. The brighter screen on the Series 2 is noticeable too, just in case you might think that it might not make that much of a difference.

The Nike + Edition is a special edition Series 2 that comes with Nike bands and special Nike Watch faces built into their software. So with this one you are getting a Series 2 with extras from Nike for great Nike looks.

Ceramic Apple Watch is a Series 2 made of white ceramic material. No special hardware or software with this one.

And that's the majority of what I know about the Series 2. The Series 1 is less expensive and is more like a faster version of the Series 0 (or the OG Apple Watch, if you will)

Conrad368

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
For me Apple series 2 is good because I like running and then check my results so series 1 for me was totally useless. Series 2 is better because have GPS and Glonass, better water proof than previous model.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner