Have you noticed more people wearing an Apple Watch?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I mostly agree with this but I would expand it to affluent people in general. I work in private wealth management and many of my clients (who are generally older than millennials) own an Apple Watch. It's more of a status symbol than other smart watches.

You're probably right. It's just that the only affluent people I'm around are students. :cool:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Now that would be funny. To be out hiking or backpacking and run into someone else who has one.

As long as it's not a cougar (as in mountain lion), I'll laugh! :laughing:

I did see Emily wearing a SS with a Coco/Pebble/Something band. But she's on Powerless so I don't think that counts.

Natalie Morales guest starred on that episode. :heart: :heart: :heart:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I see them quite a bit in airports and such. Still not a majority of watch wearers; not even close. But I do see them quite a bit more often than a year ago. I do appreciate the notifications from the airlines/other apps (App in the Air, TripIt) telling me about the gate change as I'm running the wrong way. As a boarding pass once or twice, but usually the orientation of the scanner makes it difficult to contort your wrist to use the watch for such.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been seeing more in my area as well....but for the most part, i think I'm the *only* one that uses Stocard and Apple Pay directly off my watch in the few stores in town that I frequent. Most people when they see me using one or both of those features always say "oh wow...that's cool" or "you can pay for stuff using your watch?"

kimmaree

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I live in Australia but have just spent the last month travelling around America and was very surprised to see so many people with a AW. They seemed to be everywhere and just before we left Australia I was just starting to see a few more AW's on people every time I went out. Don't use mine for Apple Pay as my bank hasn't adopted it yet. Only 1 large bank and a hand full of small ones allow Apple Pay but the larger banks in Australia are trying to take Apple to court to allow them to negotiate their contracts with Apple together. So far that's hasn't been allowed by the courts so it's taking forever for the banks here to adopted Apple Pay but I look forward to the day I can use it.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I used to see mostly just fitness bands, BUT more and more I am seeing Apple watches and a smattering of Android watches. (plus some fitness watches) I personally have both an Apple Watch AND a fitness watch.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have seen many more since the Series 2 came out. It was a revolutionary watch when it first came out, and people were skeptical after some less than stellar reviews. It is now a proven and stable and people know and love the features and benefits and are jumping onboard in droves

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
A lot of cellular and best buy employees seem to wear them. I've noticed that quite a bit recently.

nikkimd11

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I definitely think there has been an increase in the amount of Apple Watch wearers. I myself got mine right before New Years, had been wanting one since the original was released but was reluctant due to price (im a girl who doesn't like small watches so had to be 42mm). Went with the series 1 which was on sale at target for under ~$230. And now gonna give my mother one for her birthday (38mm for $200). I think both the series 1 and 2 have made a significant impact. Series 1 being the one for those not needing the extras and when you consider multiple sales bringing down the price ~$70, it's even more enticing.

anon(9768898)

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
So its been just over 2 years since the watch went on sale. Other than friends and coworkers who have an Apple Watch, are you seeing more of them out in the general public? I have. Especially since the series 2 came out last September. Some of my non-scientific observations:

Space Grey seems to be the one of choice for men. I have yet to see a guy with a gold or rose gold watch.

Other than one friend, guys get the 42mm watch. Most women have 38mm but I have see several sporting a 42mm. Including a female coworker who had a rose gold series 0 but just got a Space Grey Nike.

Most have a sport band. I have seen a few leather and Milanese loops. Which surprises me considering the Best Buy by me never seems to have any decent bands in stock. So somebody is buying them. I think I have only seen a couple with a nylon band.

I have seen somebody using their watch as a phone twice. Both times it was while I was walking out of the Target right down the street.

Overall I don't see them as often as I see people wearing a fitbit, but they are definitely becoming more popular.

I bought my gold aluminum Watch in April 2016. I have yet to see anyone with a stainless steel one. I see a lot of people with the aluminum Watches, though. They're everywhere it seems.

I may upgrade to a steel one if I can find the previous year's model at a good price.

Washington D.C.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
As a boarding pass once or twice, but usually the orientation of the scanner makes it difficult to contort your wrist to use the watch for such.

Alex Lindsay of Pixel Corp and MacBreak Weekly says when flying, he turns his Watch around so it's on the inside of his wrist just to make scanning easier.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Alex Lindsay of Pixel Corp and MacBreak Weekly says when flying, he turns his Watch around so it's on the inside of his wrist just to make scanning easier.

That's certainly an option. But I personally don't like wearing a watch like that for any length of time. Don't know why it annoys me so much. I'll use my phone or even a paper boarding pass, like an animal.

anon(9758025)

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I've definitely noticed more people wearing the Apple Watch, especially when I was working last year I would see lots of customers with them and some of them even used Apple Pay with their Watches.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I have yet to see anyone with a stainless steel one. I see a lot of people with the aluminum Watches, though. They're everywhere it seems.

Honestly I can't tell if someone has a sport or stainless steel model out in public. I just assume most are sport models because of the price difference.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner