Have you noticed more people wearing an Apple Watch?

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
So its been just over 2 years since the watch went on sale. Other than friends and coworkers who have an Apple Watch, are you seeing more of them out in the general public? I have. Especially since the series 2 came out last September. Some of my non-scientific observations:

Space Grey seems to be the one of choice for men. I have yet to see a guy with a gold or rose gold watch.

Other than one friend, guys get the 42mm watch. Most women have 38mm but I have see several sporting a 42mm. Including a female coworker who had a rose gold series 0 but just got a Space Grey Nike.

Most have a sport band. I have seen a few leather and Milanese loops. Which surprises me considering the Best Buy by me never seems to have any decent bands in stock. So somebody is buying them. I think I have only seen a couple with a nylon band.

I have seen somebody using their watch as a phone twice. Both times it was while I was walking out of the Target right down the street.

Overall I don't see them as often as I see people wearing a fitbit, but they are definitely becoming more popular.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been noticing quite a few people wearing them. I try to talk to most of them too. I ask why they got it and what they like the most. Answers vary, but everyone feels like they are on their phone less. Deal with a notification on the wrist instead of getting sidetracked on the phone. The Series 2 has actually been the one I've seen the most. Can't tell by looking at a glance so I ask. I always find it interesting to see why "normal" people by tech and how they use it. I see more Fitbits still, but the AW is on the increase for sure.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've also noticed more Apple Watches out there recently. I like to ask what they think of it. So far everything has said that they love it.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I have been noticing quite a few people wearing them. I try to talk to most of them too. I ask why they got it and what they like the most. Answers vary, but everyone feels like they are on their phone less. Deal with a notification on the wrist instead of getting sidetracked on the phone. The Series 2 has actually been the one I've seen the most. Can't tell by looking at a glance so I ask. I always find it interesting to see why "normal" people by tech and how they use it. I see more Fitbits still, but the AW is on the increase for sure.

I've talked with a few people also. My biggest surprise is how few don't realize they can use Apple Pay from the watch. When I run on Saturdays, I usually end my run at the Panera near my house. Go in, place my order, pay with my watch. I've had the cashier and people in line ask "did you just pay with your watch?"

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've talked with a few people also. My biggest surprise is how few don't realize they can use Apple Pay from the watch. When I run on Saturdays, I usually end my run at the Panera near my house. Go in, place my order, pay with my watch. I've had the cashier and people in line ask "did you just pay with your watch?"

I have not used the watch much with Apple Pay only because I have only had it a short time. The couple times I have it's been an eye opening experience for the cashier. They know about the phone now, but the watch must be pretty rare.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It's still winter, although this time of year is officially called 'Spring'. And because of winter everybody has either long sleeves or jackets/coats preventing me from seeing the clockwork on their wrists. So no, I can't say I have.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Based on my observations, Apple Watch is becoming very popular with affluent millennials. I'd even say Apple Watches are starting to outnumber Fitbits among this group. And speaking of Fitbits, as I've commented elsewhere, in the last six months the nearly all of my Fitbit friends have ditched their Fitbit for an Apple Watch.

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Based on my observations, Apple Watch is becoming very popular with affluent millennials. I'd even say Apple Watches are starting to outnumber Fitbits among this group. And speaking of Fitbits, as I've commented elsewhere, in the last six months the nearly all of my Fitbit friends have ditched their Fitbit for an Apple Watch.

I am looking to get an Apple Watch but will NEVER get rid of my Fitbit!

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Let's say you have an Apple Watch and a Fitbit. Why would you keep wearing the Fitbit if you have no Fitbit friends?

I am used to the way Fitbit works activity wise, I like it. To me the Apple Watch is more or an extension of my phone than a fitness device.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I think I may have seen one in the wild. Otherwise the only time I see someone wearing one is when I'm at an Apple Store. :(

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Based on my observations, Apple Watch is becoming very popular with affluent millennials.

I mostly agree with this but I would expand it to affluent people in general. I work in private wealth management and many of my clients (who are generally older than millennials) own an Apple Watch. It's more of a status symbol than other smart watches.